Zone Alarm 15 day trial / AVG antivirus

compumac 08:49 21 Sep 2007

I have AVG Anitivirus Free Edition and I have downloaded a fifteen day trial of Zone Alarm Security Suite. The Antivirus aspect of ZA was deslected as I already have AVG, but Zone Alarm keeps telling me that I do not have an active antivirus. Any thoughts?

Diemmess 09:08 21 Sep 2007

15 day trial seems as though you will be asked to pay eventually.

Have you downloaded the Security Suite instead of the intended ZA free.

The simpler free version is not quite so obvious when looking for the download.

I would look for the different download, and uninstall the 15 day version first.

compumac 09:27 21 Sep 2007

I already had Zone Alarm Free but intentionally thought I would try the 15 day trial of the Security Suite as stated.

Diemmess 09:53 21 Sep 2007

OK, but without looking properly, I imagine a security suite to have AV as a part of it.

If so there's bound to be a clash when effectively two AV programs cover the same system, and perhaps ZA as a suite won't easily cancel its AV purpose.

You do say you had AVG. So if that has been removed it would obviously cause ZA to bleat at you.

carper 10:32 21 Sep 2007

I run Zone alarm free which is a firewall only and have used it alongside AVG without problems for about three years. My Windows firewall is of course switched off as having two firewalls is where the problems start. I also run Spybot alongside AVG. Hope this is helpful. Regards Carper

TonyW2 11:32 21 Sep 2007

I suspect that ZA deliberately does not acknowledge that AVG is present and says that no AV is installed, to encourage users to install the ZA product.

compumac 11:52 21 Sep 2007

Diemmess
AVG is still activated Zone Alarm Security Suite Antivirus is not ativated.
Carper
I also have had AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm Free working side by side with no problem.
TonyW2
Suspect that you are right in that Zone Alarm does not wish to recognise AVG Antivirus.

Fellsider 11:56 21 Sep 2007

Like others, I have AVG Anti-virus (free) and Zonealarm (Free).
Zonealarm shows no anti-virus but checking in Security Centre shows both an active AV and F/wall.

compumac 14:35 21 Sep 2007

Windows Security Centre displays that AVG Antivirus is active and therefore I believe that Zone Alarm Security Suite does not wish to recognise AVG Antivirus.

Sea Urchin 17:45 21 Sep 2007

I can confirm that ZA is not able to recognize AVG as suitable anti-virus protection, but there is no problem with them working together.

compumac 17:51 21 Sep 2007

Noted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?