zipping pics to send via e-mail

MANDYJIM 09:07 08 Aug 2004

I have windows xp professional and i want to zip pictures into a folder to make smaller to enable me to send via hotmail. I have tried right clicking on the folder, send to compressed zip folder, this makes a folder but when I try to send to mail recipient I am told file is too large. Can anyone help or advise how to shrink around twenty pictures to make smaller to send via hotmail.

[email protected]® 09:13 08 Aug 2004

Xp has its own zip. If you right click on the picture and select send to mail recipient it will give you the option to make pictures smaller.

Sethhaniel 09:17 08 Aug 2004

they are already compressed and a zipped file will probably be bigger than originals

what size are originals - could open them in program like irfanview and resave them in lower but acceptable quality - or resize to reduce size

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:28 08 Aug 2004

click here the free version is one of the best that I have ever used.
G

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:28 08 Aug 2004

That'll be 'photo resizer. ;-))

G

Smiler 10:36 08 Aug 2004

As Sethhaniel says
if pictures are JPG
they are already compressed and a zipped file will probably be bigger than originals

You need to use a program such as paintshop pro and do the following

Reduce the resolution to 150dpi if the photo is to be printed or 75dpi if being viewed on a computer.
Choose a higher compression ratio to obtain a smaller file when saving as a new jpg file

Smiler 11:47 08 Aug 2004

PS if you use adobe photoshop elements you can use the save for web option and choose what level of compression and size of file you want.

bpboonn 15:13 08 Aug 2004

I agree with GANDALF Photo resizer is your best bet. A brill program for free

Hamish 18:23 08 Aug 2004

Try click here. Works with JPG pictures

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?