zip files?

zaz 20:39 16 Jun 2003

HelP!

someone has sent me a file that ends in '.zip' so I presume it is a zipped file :-)

How can I tell which programme I need to open it - and even if I have the programme on my pc ?? My pc wont open it!

Help!

Zaz

graham√ 20:48 16 Jun 2003

Can you double-click on it? If that doesn't open it, try an evaluation version of WinZip click here

zaz 20:51 16 Jun 2003

how do I know if my pc has Winzip or not?? Is this the only programme that will unzip files?

thanks - Zaz

graham√ 20:53 16 Jun 2003

Operating System?

powerless 20:53 16 Jun 2003

What operating system have you got?

If you cannot see the files in the zipped file then you do not have winzip.

zaz 20:55 16 Jun 2003

Thanks but Winzip dpoes not appear in the operating files.

Could there be another programme that the sender is assuming I have??? and that will unzip it?

Is Winzip a normal part of Windows 2000?

Zaz

graham√ 21:13 16 Jun 2003

What happens if you double-click on the file?

What happens if you download and instal the evaluation version of WinZip, right-click on the file and click 'open with WinZip'?

Belatucadrus 21:20 16 Jun 2003

Try Zipcentral, free to use no limitations click here

Jester2K II 21:21 16 Jun 2003

A Zip file is a file containing one or more other files.

Files are zipped in order to compress (shrink) them or to keep many files together.

The container file is a ZIP file.

Windows Me and XP support ZIp files but others don't.

If you have another OS then you need a 3rd Party tool like WinZip (there are others) to open the file.

MAKE SURE YOUR AV IS UP TO DATE FIRST!!

-pops- 06:00 17 Jun 2003

Expanding on what Jester2K II wrote, zip files - and other compressed file types have been used for spreading of viruses and other nasties. Make sure you pass the file through your anti-virus.

Personally, zip files go straight in the bin unless I am absolutely certain of their provenance and I am expecting them.

Brian

zaz 06:25 17 Jun 2003

thanks for the help - I know its not a virus cos its a work file but the IT guys are insisting I can open it!

I shall report back that they have forgotten to install an unzip prorgamme on my pc! Nice to get one over on them for a change!

I always rely on you here to help me out!

great stuff.

zaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone