zip files

123joey123 16:16 28 Feb 2008

Can someone help an idiot?
I want to put a decent photo gallery on my website.I download compressed files from the many
galleries on the web with winzip and get dozens of files. I use Serif webplus.How do I transfer those files to my webpage?
Sorry if it's basic but there must be a simple way.

Kemistri 18:25 28 Feb 2008

You will have to explain in more detail precisely what you wish to achieve and in what way. From where did you get this download and what exactly is it?

There is only one way in which I would build a photo gallery, but I can't suggest that because it does not involve Serif WebPlus and I know that it would make no sense for you.

Don't forget about the Webdesign forum.

Kemistri 23:08 28 Feb 2008

I'd be glad to help, but I need more info.

123joey123 09:35 29 Feb 2008

I download a picture gallery and the files appear in winzip.Sometimes quite a lot of them including JPGs and class files.
If I want to put these in Serif, how do I transfer them.
Thanks for answering

Kemistri 12:15 29 Feb 2008

Leaving WebPlus out of the equation for now, I can certainly tell you how to build a gallery and I can probably tell you how to add these downloaded files into a website, but I don't know that until I see them -- you still haven't told me where you got them.

123joey123 12:31 29 Feb 2008

It's a general question really. I have downloaded several gallery sites but are faced with the same problem. How do I get the unzipped files into the web site

Kemistri 13:48 29 Feb 2008

Until you at least tell me what the files are, I can't help. Are they HTML, CSS, JS..... what?? I'm working blind here. And I'll need a link to your website so that I can see your markup.

UncleP 16:32 06 Mar 2008

As I understand it, you simply use 'Import Picture' to load an image at a particular place in your WebPlus file. It will handle a reasonable range of graphics formats and, once there, will allow different picture effects to be applied to the selected image.

Think of WebPlus as a DTP program which produces website rather than pdf files.

Sorry, I've just noticed that this thread 'died' a week ago. Is it all sorted now? If so, please mark it as resolved.

UncleP 16:34 06 Mar 2008

As I understand it, you simply use 'Import Picture' to load an image at a particular place in your WebPlus file. It will handle a reasonable range of graphics formats and, once there, will allow different picture effects to be applied to the selected image.

Think of WebPlus as a DTP program which produces website rather than pdf files.

Sorry, I've just noticed that this thread 'died' a week ago. Is it all sorted now? If so, please mark it as resolved.

123joey123 10:08 07 Mar 2008

Thanks Unclep.No it's not resolved.It's just that noone seems to knopw what I mean.Probably because it's so basic-but I don't understand.,
I'll start from the beginning.
I want a good photo gallery in Serf web plus. I go to internet explorer and find an excellent one by Sue Nicholls.I download a zip file and get just one result. It says lightbox.html
I can't get that into the serif page.
I know I'm thick but I'm kind to animals.

UncleP 16:40 07 Mar 2008

It's not a question of being thick, rather of finding out and understanding how things are done. And website design has quite a steep learning curve to cope with, too, lots of new concepts and different ways to achieve the desired end product.

I'm no expert either; I got a copy of WebPlus9 as part of one of the infamous Serif bundles. I had produced quite a number of reports using their DTP program PagePlus, which I usually circulated in the form of pdf files. The thought of putting them up on a website for general availability appealed to me, and the two programs have a very similar structure.

One difference is that PagePlus produces a single pdf output file, whereas WebPlus gives several files - one for each website page - in the HTML format. Each includes text, images, code describing the page layout and links to other pages and other sites. The advantage of WebPlus (and other wysiwyg programs) is that it generates the code for you, although you can insert additional HTML code if you wish.

However, WebPlus does not (I think) accept HTML files as input, so you cannot copy existing website picture galleries as they stand. If you can download individual pictures, preferably as gif or jpg files, you can introduce these into your website as I indicated above. If you want to copy the style ie layout, colours etc of a website gallery, you will need to rebuild it within WebPlus in the form of a template or master page. In either case you will need to avoid sites with copyright on either aspect.

I should also say that, although WebPlus is very easy to use (especially if you know about DTP!), it does have its limitations as a website generator, and I'm currently trying out NOF9.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?