Zalman CPU Coolers.....

johndrew 13:09 29 Jul 2007

... has anyone tried using them directly through the motherboard connection and by-passing the Fan Mate?

I am considering fitting one of these click here but on looking at the installation instructions see that the use of the Fan Mate is almost mandatory. I was wondering if anyone had tried the unit without the use of this controller and used the motherboard`s own speed control even though the fan rotational speed is far lower than the `normal` supplied fan would be.

My understanding is that if the BIOS settings are changed it could work and avoid having more wires hanging around.

With thanks in anticipation for any information/advice.

€dstowe 13:12 29 Jul 2007

Those "fanmate" things are only variable resistors. I had one burn out so I just disconnected it and plugged the fan direct to the MB. Worked fine. Didn't notice any difference at all.

I am Spartacus 14:22 29 Jul 2007

I've read that some Zalman fans aren't particularly quiet so the fanmate is probably recommended to quieten it down but as €dstowe says you can plug it directly into the Motherboard.

€dstowe 14:28 29 Jul 2007

I'm particularly sensitive about noisy computers - working with 20+ in the same/adjacent room makes it important to me.

All my machines are fitted with the all copper version of the heatsink in your link, johndrew, and they are all but silent. I did have a couple that were noisy so they went back.

johndrew 15:37 29 Jul 2007

I was looking at the aluminium/copper on weight & cost grounds (more the latter) but if you believe the copper version better for some reason I would be interested.

I am also interested in the noise aspect as the base unit is a hand length from my head and I can hear the fans clearly. My reason for action now is that Asus have supplied a new chipset fan as the original was making a lot of noise before I oiled it click here and the new item demands removal of the motherboard. I did consider solid state but am a bit unsure of it. I also have 2 graphics cards and the case fans to listen to, so you can see why I would like to become as noiseless as possible.

Do all your PCs use the Fan Mate supplied or have you by-passed on them all? Have you gone `silent` on other fans as well?

I am Spartacus 12:15 30 Jul 2007

I've been using QuietPC lately and can recommend them click here

I can also recommend the following products:

Scythe Andy Samurai Master CPU Cooler, however it's quite big (takes a 120mm fan) and you would need to check for space. I can't hear the fan when it runs at full speed unless I put my ear next to the case. It's also a very effective cooler and it doesn't require motherboard removal to fit it. click here

Thermalright V2 Copper VGA Cooler is also very effective but again it takes up space and on my motherboard it completely blocks a PCI slot. You would need to check for compatibility with your card at click here

I can also recommend the Xilence Red Wing 80 & 120mm fans, both very quiet at full speed click here & click here

These Acousti Ultra-Soft Arrowhead Fan Mounts deaden any vibration from fans click here

QuietPC are excellent to deal with and have a good returns policy and reputation.

HCOOH 12:37 30 Jul 2007

If you have an AMD processor this is amazing at the price, fitted one to a home build Athlon Dual core. Comes ready greased as well.
click here

I am Spartacus 12:55 30 Jul 2007

I tried one of those Artic coolers (Socket 775 version) and agree that it's fantastic value at the price. I did find the fan too noisy at full speed though. At lower speeds (around 800rpm) the noise was undetectable.

€dstowe 13:11 30 Jul 2007

The thermal capacity of the all-copper heatsinks is greater than the Cu/Al ones. I don't think there is a lot in it, the combination models were out of stock when my builder was getting supplies in last time.

QuitePC is a very good company - I have silencer padding from them, amongst other things.

Remember larger fans need to rotate a lot slower (= less noisy) than smaller ones to move similar amount so air.

johndrew 14:18 30 Jul 2007

`.. I have silencer padding from them ..`

Do you mean click here if so I have used the Deluxe version on this case but although it quietens it a bit I still find it noisy. Probably because of its proximity to me.

I agree with you about Quiet PC, they are good, but they don`t seem to stock either version of the CNPS7700 but Overclock have both advertised click here.

johndrew 14:23 30 Jul 2007

Your recommendations are excellent, thank you both. I shall make note of them and check specifications (especially dimensions) carefully. The offering from Arctic Cooling appears excellent (yes I am using AMD) but the clearances look a bit tight, especially on height.

Even if I don`t make use of them immediately this type of help is invaluable as the manufacturer is not involved.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?