"you've got the blue screen of death mate" - HELP!

TheHacienda 14:30 12 Mar 2011

afternoon,

my kids pc has completely broke. over the past few months a blue screen shows up saying it has stopped windows running to stop it being damaged. it said it couyld be new software or hardware fitted. re-installed i-tunes that my son had said was the only software he installed recently

now it won't even boot up and goes straight to the "blue screen of death" that my mate so joyfully informed me

now iss there anything I can do to fix this?
the pc was given to the kids by their grandmother so i have no discs with it (think it was reconditioned)

a friend has given me a disc with XP Pro that apparently i'm able to run a recovery. tried this and it says one or more sections are incomplete or damaged

is there anything i can do or am i looking at the bin?

Graphicool1 14:41 12 Mar 2011

Can you start it in 'Safe Mode'. If you can, try restoring the PC to a time back before this happened.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 12 Mar 2011

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

TheHacienda 15:04 12 Mar 2011

cheers for that - but now i think i've proper ballsed thyis up

i've put the xp disc in from the neighbour and decided to reload windows completey

it asked if i wanted to to create a partition (which it wouldn't let me)

then because there wasn't enough space in that one

it's now formatting the existing partition

I've broke it haven't i?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:45 12 Mar 2011

No
but you are wiping off everything that was on it

All you can do now is complete the reinstall of windows using the serial number on the sticker on the PC.

Maybe then you can run something like RECUVA click here to find any documents or pictures.

TheHacienda 15:57 12 Mar 2011

cheers for that

there was nothing really on it anyway

one more thing it's saying its formatting the partition

how long does this usually take because its been on 1 percent for about an hour now

is it normal to take this long?

ICF 16:19 12 Mar 2011

That sounds slow to me
How big is the hard drive?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017