Youtube wont work on Ship's Wifi on Laptop

Scott Lawie 19:45 19 Jun 2017

Hey Guys, I'm new here so apologies if I make a faux pas on the forum.

Basically I am working on a Ship in the North Sea.

The Wifi permits me to access most sites. It does however have a filter banning "Adult sites"

The situation is this; On my first day I was able to access browse and watch youtube videos no hassle on my laptop. Youtube is a great resource to have offshore as it has so many videos that can stream at 144p or 240p (As the wifi is poor this is great as most other videos like those on facebook run at 360p and just buffer constantly)

When I try to access youtube now it states: "This site can’t be reached

The web page at click here might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address. ERRTUNNELCONNECTION_FAILED"

I can still access youtube on my phone however the screen is small and it does not seem to run as well as it did on the laptop, buffering constantly. I also prefer using my laptop as I can navigate more effectively. I am only allowed to sign one device in at any one time too so my laptop is advantageous.

Does anyone have any idea what may be going wrong and if so are there ways to rectify it?

Youtube would make my life at sea so so much more bearable and any help given would be doing me an absolute solid.

Apologies for the long post and thank you for reading! :D

Kindest Regards,

-Scott

difarn 22:00 19 Jun 2017

Have you tried using another browser?

Scott Lawie 22:24 19 Jun 2017

Yeah man, chrome, Internet Explorer and Edge.

Chrome comes up with the message I posted above, the other 2 state it's a banned adult site, which doesnt make sense becase I can connect to the youtube app on my android phone and my Fire Tablet. They both lag though and I cant navigate as well as on the laptop.

difarn 22:57 19 Jun 2017

Have you tried deleting youtube cookies on your browsers?

Youtube does have adult content but is only available if signed in. Could it be that you have been permanently signed into youtube on your laptop?

Have you tried to change proxy settings? Have a look at this article on how to do this in Chrome.

click here

MJS WARLORD 14:03 20 Jun 2017

have you spoke to anyone in charge of the ship to see if they have lower spec broadband than you would get on the mainland.. i stay in a well known hotel chain on a regular basis and the internet is very slow or unusable ( its free ) for what i need to do. i do get a message to upgrade to a better package ( ££££££ ) but the point is this.... the free package is real low tech.... just a thought !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 20 Jun 2017

fix for chrome

click here

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?