you're not connected to a network

benson68 16:36 06 Mar 2014

I keep getting the above message, about 3 or 4 times a week, even though my modem & router are working OK. It just suddenly comes up with this message on my Win 7 Dell Inspiron laptop. I then restart the computer, & everything is OK again. I'm using IE11, but it's the same when I use Chrome. I'm using Avast free antivirus. I also regularly get a message that Windows updates aren't enabled. Could these faults be connected?

abhay822 18:23 06 Mar 2014

I would suggest that you enable and install all the Windows updates which might fix the problem.

The following link should help you with it : click here

alanrwood 19:15 06 Mar 2014

Sounds like a possible intermittent connection of the Ethernet cable or wireless connection but you don't say which you are using.

benson68 19:19 06 Mar 2014

I keep enabling updates, but they keep getting switched off. I check now, for the warning flag, rh of the taskbar.Todays disconnection was whilst auto updates were switched on. I am using WiFi by the way. Forgot to mention.

abhay822 19:48 06 Mar 2014

I assume other devices are working well with your router which rules out a router issue.

Please connect the laptop using ethernet cable and try to get the updates installed.

If the problem persists try checking for any driver updates for your wireless network card. If there are no driver updates available uninstall the WLan network adapter from Device manager and then reboot the computer the Wlan drivers would automatically reinstall. Try connecting again. If you still get the same issue try safe mode with networking (wireless connection). If it works then it could be due to some application /software on the computer.

benson68 08:52 10 Mar 2014

I have got all the Windows updates. I regularly have to check that red flag on the taskbar. Also, the drivers are all up to date.

Another problem is that the screen has gone blank three times since I bought this laptop in January. When that happens, I have to switch off via the on/off button & start again.

benson68 08:59 10 Mar 2014

Abhay 822

There is no mention of a WLan network adaptor in Device Manager. There is a Dell wireless 1705 etc mentioned, however.

rdave13 16:25 10 Mar 2014

Try going to device manager and under Network Adapters you should find the Dell wireless 1705 , right click, properties, power management and untick the box for 'Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power'.

abhay822 18:51 10 Mar 2014

The following link should help you uninstall the drivers for your Wireless network adapter (WLAN) : click here make sure that you do not check the box which says delete the driver software while uninstalling.

If you want to do so make sure you download the drivers from the Dell website beforehand and you can install them after the uninstalling and deleting the existing drivers the wireless drivers.

I hope this helps

Also

abhay822 19:01 10 Mar 2014

The screen turning blank by itself could either be a hardware fault or a BIOS issue. I would suggest that you contact Dell if the product is in warranty to check. I believe you should be able to get it serviced or replaced if its a hardware fault.

benson68 19:26 10 Mar 2014

'Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power'.

is already unticked.

phoned Dell for help. On the phone for 1hour 41min 27 seconds! Aching left arm. Hope computer is fixed now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?