Is your PC powered up 24/7 ?

AngeTheHippy 10:53 29 Jul 2004

When I was working, for an Authority, all PCs were powered up 24/7. When I asked the reason for this, the reply was 'less wear and tear on the equipment'. That sounds feasible to me, but should we treat our own PCs in this manner? Is it more/less expensive (energy-wise) to keep them powered up? I'm concerned that the fans stop working and the thing burst into flames!....or would that not happen?

AngeTheHippy
x

Graham ® 10:59 29 Jul 2004

I leave mine on standby overnight. I believe this reduces 'wear and tear'. Some people will point out the risk of fire, but if you look round your home and count up the number of electrical items left plugged in, one more will not be of much consequence.

gold 47 10:59 29 Jul 2004

I never keep my computer powered up 24/7 for what reason for home use? i turn my computer on when required my older computer is four years old never had a problem but i do use surge protectors.

€dstowe 11:00 29 Jul 2004

It should be that if the CPU overheats (fans stops or something) it will shut itself down to prevent its own suicide.

There are other things that can overheat and catch fire though - a power supply for one.

end 11:05 29 Jul 2004

have a look at this thread for some "interesting arguments"

click here

FRANKMAC 11:27 29 Jul 2004

I have this morning seen on TV a program about Energy & the effects on the environment.

One of the aspects covered was the cost of leaving electrical items switched on, the example they gave was for a TV, they claimed that on average a TV that was left on standby when not being viewed rather than switching it off amounted to 70% of the cost of running the TV.
I'm no expert on the amount of electricity being used by each appliance, but wonder if the same sort of figures apply to leaving a PC powered up.

Stuartli 11:28 29 Jul 2004

Providing that the system is properly cooled and that surge protection equipment is fitted, there's no harm in leaving it on 24/7.

There's less wear and tear on on/off switches, electrical "jolts" to components when switched on or off etc.

However, although my system is on all day, I do switch it off at night for no particular reason.

The system itself has been switched on and turned off many, many times (the Elite mobo is five years old) but everything still works as it should.

SEASHANTY 11:41 29 Jul 2004

A Fact Sheet (short .pdf file) giving details of when to turn off monitors and computers. Research
shows that the less wear and tear arguement does not hold up
click here

TomJerry 11:43 29 Jul 2004

Do something (even small) for environment, switch off your PC when you do not need it.

I bet you do not switch your car on 24/7 to reduces 'wear and tear'. What a rubbish.

It does not add 'wear and tear' by switch off and on once every day.

Once PC is on, hard disk spin constantly, this INCREASES (not reduces) 'wear and tear'. There may be some electric/themal shock when a PC is switch on, but this cannot compare with 'wear and tear' produced by constant running.

Now look electricity bill: A PC will have power rating 400W (inclduing monitor etc), this mean one day power consumption is about 10KWH which costs 60p (assume 6p one KWH). One year is £219.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:11 29 Jul 2004

A PC on stanby will use nothing like 400w, the monitor usually switches off and the standby power is about 10w. Hard disks do not spin all the time, they will power down after an hour or so. My last computer was never turned off for 5 years (3 power cuts though) and my present computer has been on for a year. I have to go away for periods of up to 6 weeks and I note the leccy reading before and after...it is minimal.

G

Magik ®© 12:17 29 Jul 2004

mine is left running 24/7 it has been on now for 3 years, the monitor goes into stanby after 30 minutes....

and it will last longer if it is left on...bit like a light bulb, switch that on and off and see how long it lasts, to go from cold to hot, back to cold and so on, leave it on....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?