Your own opinion Avast or AVG

Internetwhizzkid 22:04 10 Dec 2006

hi,
i want everyones opinion. Avast Anti-virus Home Edition. Or AVG Free. which is the best.
also spybot or adaware not both just your opinion on which you think is best.

no others just those
thanks
ben.

mammak 22:13 10 Dec 2006

Both Avast home and AVG free are good IMO I use them both on different pcs could not say which is the best both have automatic updates and are very effective,

as for spybot and adware I have used both on all my machines for years one might pickup which the other does not, but yes both are good and worthwhile having.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:15 10 Dec 2006

This has been gone through a dozen times or more, do a search!

Everyone will have their own favourite so the question is academic.

Stuartli 22:18 10 Dec 2006

Same view as mammak except that I've centred on Avast! because it really is install and forget for 99 per cent of the time.

I also run SpywareBlaster, S and D, AdAware and, from quite recently, AVG AntiSpyware, which updates itself at least for the first month, before this feature and Resident Shield are only available in the paid for version.

mammak 22:32 10 Dec 2006

yes if I was pushed to choose then like you it would be Avast why? I dont really know it is slightly more user friendly than AVG but not much,

got to agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ everyone has their own favourite so it is a personal choice,

and well this might be veiwed as a blonde thing (I am not really) but I have always liked Avast after loading "your virus database has been updated" mmm gets me going that voice.

p;3 22:51 10 Dec 2006

one can always arrange for a nice talking voice for the AVG update!!

my preference IS avg ( having previously had the beloved Norton);avg is free and I find good for my needs

as to "the best" (IS there " a best"?); each to his/her own; however, I also do run adaware and spybot; each works in a different way so it is not really an either/ or ,but both

and some might argue that paying for something makes it "more effective";

sean-278262 00:59 11 Dec 2006

Pizza or chips
Fast car or big car

Each to his own. Been a norton user for years, moved on to AVG through recommendation and pure annoyance at norton.

As for which is better. Well whichever detects a virus first. I have found most apps are not the same. One may pick up problem x that the other misses but it does miss problem y.

AVG Free
Spybot S&D
Spyware blaster
Adaware in reserve
CCleaner

You really do need all of them. Never tried Avast but rest assured it will be tried in due course. Dont ask people to decide for you. Install one then the other see which you find easier to use. I prefer spybots clean and simple interface. Others like adaware and the more professional look. Each to his own.

Belatucadrus 11:24 11 Dec 2006

If you chose avast! don't forget to go into Display properties and set your screen saver to avast! antivirus. Avast! will now run a sequential scan while the screensaver is running.

keith-236785 12:49 11 Dec 2006

AVG for me, has been for the last 6 years and apart from my own mistakes, i have never had a virus. (my own mistakes for downloading stuff and not scanning them before opening), no anti virus protects against our own stupidity.

i have tried avast on another pc but it was only a quick visit and because it was different from what i knew i didnt take to it....maybe with a little more time i could have got used to it but......

again only my opinion, each to whatever they find easiest to use.

pennyben 12:52 11 Dec 2006

Why are you not including Anti Vir which has better detection?

Totally-braindead 13:28 11 Dec 2006

How long is a piece of string?

I use AVG simply because it was the first free AV I had tried and its not let me down so I feel no need to try others. If I had tried AVAST first perhaps I would be sticking with that - who knows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?