Your Helproom page keep crashing

harris99 15:55 13 Nov 2006

I can log on to your website, but when I use your Helproom and click on to any thread,the site disappears and I get my desktop.This occurs quite randomly, sometimes almost at once and at other times after several minutes. This has only started happening about a week ago after years of trouble-free viewing. I haven't changed any settings or downloaded any new prorgammes. Windows XP MCE.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:59 13 Nov 2006

what browser?

Repair Internet Explorer explanation
click here

skidzy 16:11 13 Nov 2006

You could try this also click here

brundle 16:15 13 Nov 2006

There is mention of javascript in the page code, try re-installing click here

harris99 16:16 13 Nov 2006

Have opened Control Panel and Add/Remove Programmes, but MS Internet Explorer and Internet tools does not appear

VoG II 16:24 13 Nov 2006

You need to follow the instructions for XP click here

skidzy 16:27 13 Nov 2006

If you can not click any links here try using Firefox or Opera.

Firefox 2 www mozilla.com/en-US/

Opera 9.02 www opera.com/download/

Dont forget the dot

harris99 18:02 13 Nov 2006

Thanks everyone. It was crashing so quickly eventually that I couldn't do anything. But I saw skidzy and downloaded Firefox, since when I have been swanning about the Helproom with no trouble for 10 minutes. So AOK now - touch wood!

skidzy 18:18 13 Nov 2006

ok now lets try and repair your IE.You have plenty of links above to try, but try this first click here

Tell us what you have tried so far.And if IE6 or IE7

IE7 Tools / Internet Options / General / Tabs settings / Restore default settings.

IE7 Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Reset Internet Explorer Settings...you may have to reboot.

harris99 15:55 14 Nov 2006

I have IE6. Started to try Fruit Bat's suggestion. 1st option, typed sfc/scannow, result was "couldn't find file. Screen then crashed! Have just tried 2nd option. Right clicked on "ie.inf file" and clicked "install",was asked for SP2 CD-rom.Have cd's for Windows XP MCE, but am ashamed to admit I took fright at this point. I really didn't know what I was doing so gave up. Firefox works well. My option is to seek professional help (at a price!), but meanwhile to carry on with Firefox. Sorry to be so wet!

harris99 15:56 14 Nov 2006

I have IE6. Started to try Fruit Bat's suggestion. 1st option, typed sfc/scannow, result was "couldn't find file. Screen then crashed! Have just tried 2nd option. Right clicked on "ie.inf file" and clicked "install",was asked for SP2 CD-rom.Have cd's for Windows XP MCE, but am ashamed to admit I took fright at this point. I really didn't know what I was doing so gave up. Firefox works well. My option is to seek professional help (at a price!), but meanwhile to carry on with Firefox. Sorry to be so wet!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone