"You have email"

Diemmess 17:54 26 May 2009

Or so Joanna Lumley used to announce when I was signed up with AOL.

BTinternet/Yahoo works fine these days but there is no prompt when new email arrives.

Is there a config change which will produce at least a beep when new email has arrived?

VoG II 18:06 26 May 2009

Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Sounds tab. Scroll down to and click on New Mail Notification then click the Browse button to select a suitable sound.

VoG II 18:12 26 May 2009

P.S. If you don't want the choice that Windows offers there are alternatives if you Google, e.g. click here

Diemmess 21:05 26 May 2009

Thank you very much VoG™

mooly 07:17 27 May 2009

Just spent an hour on the phone to BT about this. The Yahoo toolbar always gave me an alert of the number of unread messages as they appear but no longer ! I use BT/Yahoo as my email client.
Installed the latest version but it still "dont work" Technical support opened an interactive session so they could view my screen and settings. The outcome 1 hour later. Write to Yahoo and tell them !!!! The "new" BT mail seems to be causing some problems, it's like a work in progress. Reverting back to there "Classic" mail and that's not right either. When you open a message or anything the cursor remains as an "hourglass" never finishing although everything seems to work. This doesn't happen with the "New" mail. I'll keep you posted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?