You all knew I'd be back!

Jakey boy 14:11 31 Dec 2003

click here

I built my first machine soon after this, and everything is fine. I did, however, immediately get the bug, and decided to purchase another case - ergo, about to build another system! The first was a Socket A, so I thought P4 this time. Problem is....more a query.....The mobo tray on the case, has six obvious mountings for an ATX board, but the manual for the "In-post" mobo shows nine screw-holes!! it seems to me that the "towards front edge of the mobo will be un-supported! There are flush screw holes there, are these for stand-offs or what? Am I making any sense?

Rayuk 14:48 31 Dec 2003

If its an ATX case there should be minmum of 9 holes,some also have holes for MATX boards.

What case have you bought.

Did it come with the stand offs you require.?

DieSse 15:57 31 Dec 2003

Not sure waht you are describing - do you have mounting holes in the board with no mounts on the case -

Or - not enough stand-offs -

Or what?

With wide boards, you can also get plastic spacers which clip into the board holes, then rest flat on the case, and stop it flexing towards the case. I sometimes use then in the extreme corners of boards, to stop flexing. They're difficult to describe, but a local computer shop should know. If they're threade to screw into the cse, you just chop off the thread part.

Jakey boy 19:42 31 Dec 2003

Sorry guys. There are 6 raised,(dimpled?)screw-holes which stand out from the tray. The other, various holes are flush with the tray. I don't know if the board can be placed directly onto these "dimpled" holes like stand-offs, with extra stand-offs screwed into the flushed holes to level the board off or what?

The case is from Maplin, by iCute. The 8310SL - click here

woodchip 19:50 31 Dec 2003

If there is no support where you have screw holes then you need stand-offs

Jakey boy 20:14 31 Dec 2003

I know that I need stand-offs for support. It's these raised, holed "dimples on the tray that are confusing me. There are only 6 of them, and I would have expected to see 9?

Jakey boy 20:29 31 Dec 2003

I'll have to wait until I get the mobo, to see for myself. I'm just impatient lol! Last board was a tight fit 'cos of the size of the case. As a result, i can't fit drives into the lower two 5.4 bays, as they are impeded by the mobo. This case has lots more room!

DieSse 20:41 31 Dec 2003

It's not uncommon for the raised "dimples" (in place of posts) to be only for the basic 6/7 holes (this is enough many motherboards).

If you want to support the edge of a wide board you'll have to get some standoffs - screw in metal ones, or the plastic ones I tried to describe earlier.

Jakey boy 20:59 31 Dec 2003

I think that's what I wanted to hear. There are plenty other holes, and I have stand-offs with the case, which will be enough to prevent flexing. i just wasn't sure about using these "dimples" as stand-offs, as they are part of the metal tray. I thought I HAD to use stand-offs between the board and the tray.

woodchip 23:38 31 Dec 2003

I have even used packing it's not going anywhere after its built just make sure it's fireproof

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?