yes I'm a fool. HELP REQUIRED BADLY!!!!!

soupdragon1 00:20 11 Aug 2007

I had a problem with recurring boot items on my pc and could not get them to stop appearing after boot up.I had go back which wanted to access a different drive (long story, the original partition eas on an old drive I made over to a slave) I have 3 hard drives onboard so in my wisdom/stupidity disabled 2 of them under device manager while trying to sort the problem. ( dont ask, bbq and lager to blame). The pc will no longer boot as the disabeled drives are required at boot up, but obviously they are not visible. how do I re enable them outwith windows? I can't get into windows device manager and currently am accesing this forum on a knoppix disc. I can't afford to reinstall windows and lose all my data.
ANy help appreciated.
windows xp home sp2.

brundle 00:29 11 Aug 2007

Last known good configuration? Safe mode?

soupdragon1 00:30 11 Aug 2007

tried both, to no avail.

soupdragon1 00:32 11 Aug 2007

I need to re emable the discs in device manager without going through windows.
methinks I'm goosed.
20 quid to the charity of your choice for the helper that gets me out this hole.

brundle 00:34 11 Aug 2007

Replace your current registry files with the ones that were made the first time you installed Windows - click here

User-1159794 09:44 11 Aug 2007

You could try running chkdsk /p (note space between k and / ).
It sorted a problem I had last night.
See.

click here

skidzy 12:11 11 Aug 2007

Just an idea and not sure it will work,have you tried disconnecting the drives and then connect the drive holding the os only ...then in turn connect the slave drives.
As you still have one drive that you did not disable,try making this master once the other two are disconnected.Then hopefully you may be able to enable the other two in turn.

Totally-braindead 12:40 11 Aug 2007

Further to skidzys idea if that doesn't work. You could disconnect the drives, restart without them connected, then restart again and try going into BIOS and get the BIOS to autodetect them and see if they will reload themselves. Might not but worth a try.

paul€ 12:45 11 Aug 2007

Why not do a windows repair click here

This will leave all your files intact and should reactivte the extra two hard drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?