yellow question mark in device manager

funf 23:28 14 Jan 2004

I am running Windows xp Pro and in device manager I get a yellow flash at the side of Network Controller. Any ieas for getting rid. Mobo A7V600
and I have ownloaded the latest drivers and installed them.

johnnyrocker 23:34 14 Jan 2004

right click and either select update drivers which should select the new drivers, if that dont work right click and uninstall/re boot and let windows find it again and load the drivers failing that if a recent prob try sys restore.

johnny.

funf 23:45 15 Jan 2004

Used both WINDOWS XP disk and Mobo disk but the same message comes up.
"Unable to install hardware as the Wizard cannot find the software".

petersmyth1 00:06 16 Jan 2004

Hi my o/s is wins98se and since I upgraded my puter 4 months ago I've got that damn exclamation mark on Wave device for voice modem. Investigation told me there were no drivers installed. After many hours of research, 30 mins if truth be told, I became aware the damn thing didn't need drivers. So it could be a no go technical exclamation mark. ....Peter

billyliv 00:08 16 Jan 2004

Hi, Question is - Do you use the network? (ie. LAN) or do you use a modem to connect to an ISP?. If you dont use a LAN connection Ignore the Yellow exclamation mark. Cheers, Bill

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 01:06 16 Jan 2004

Try looking in bios for any LAN devices and disableing them.,and as for the wave device for voice modem that should have been put in with your modem drivers i think.

Regards.

hugh-265156 03:16 16 Jan 2004

how do you connect to the internet? is it via dial up connection or broadband usb or lan

network adapter is the lan(local area connection) or nic(network interface card) card either in a pci slot(which you added) or onboard device(part of motherboard)

if the driver cannot be found on your motherboard drivers cdrom try windows update click here

if you connect via dial up/dont use a network etc then you dont need it and the onboard lan can be disabled via the bios as above.

petersmyth1 click here

Wak 11:44 16 Jan 2004

Is it possible that the yellow mark is the result of a duplicated or incorrect IRQ ?????
Have a look at Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ System Tools/ System Information/ Hardware resources/ IRQs.
Just a thought!

funf 18:29 16 Jan 2004

I do use a network. I have disabled the onboard LAN (GIGABIT 3 COM). I use broadband via an ETHERNET/USB Hub which installs as an NIC using the name of "Conexant".I have 2 NIC's installed.One is REATEK and the other is RHINE. I have reinstalled all the drivers for these cards.
I have to admit it does not cause a problem everything works, but I would like to know what causes it and how to get rid of it.

hugh-265156 20:36 16 Jan 2004

really not sure but heres what i would try.

first make a restore point just in case.

next go to device manager and right click the network adapter in question and click uninstall then restart the computer,see what happens.

normally windows will,on starting up again find the hardware and install the drivers for it automatically.if it cannot install them try pointing it to your motherboard drivers cdrom or your windows disc.

you could also try to disable the device (right click and select properties/general/device usage "do not use/disable") then restart and see if you have any problems with it.im guessing you wont.

funf 20:11 18 Jan 2004

huggyg71
I disabled the Network Controller and restarted.It then had a red flash so I uninstalled it and restarted. It has now gone and everthing is working OK.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.
funf

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?