yellow exclamation marks on all network adaptors

Gaz4545 20:46 17 Mar 2009

Hi, I turn to you for advise on this problem. I cannot connect to the internet so i checked the network adaptors in the device manager and they all had yellow exclamation marks next to them, I tried deleting them, but apart from the ethernet card no others would delete, and when I installed the ethernet card again that to reappeared with the yellow mark, even afer a reinstall of the ethernet card. coupled with this I have lost the win xp Firewall, comes up with the error message Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed as the associated service is not running..do i want to start the ICS service?...I then click yes and it then says that it cannot be started. Do you think both these problems are linked...and can they be fixed without reinstalling xp pro?..thanks

cream. 20:51 17 Mar 2009

1) Have you installed the drivers for the network card?

2) Have you checked in services to see if the firewall is disabled? If it is, start the service.

Stuartli 20:56 17 Mar 2009

When did the problem start?

If you know, try a System Restore to just before that day.

I lost my Internet connection yesterday (IP address could not be found) even though it was working fine the night before and tried everything known to man to solve it, without success.

Eventually I tried a System Restore and bingo..:-)

Another possibility is your ISP service is down from the exchange - try its Status pages for any information.

Gaz4545 21:03 17 Mar 2009

Hi just checked on SIW and it tells me the network cards are disconnected..how do I re-connect them?..I have tried deleting them, but it will not let me(to re-install). Also have got into services..but cannot see Windows firewall listed, just security?

Good advice..just need more guidence..thx for quick response

Gaz4545 21:08 17 Mar 2009

Stuart,

Thinking I had a virus I turned System Restore off...I am writing this to you on my laptop which is wireless and uses the same router without problem...thx for your help tho'...still thinking a virus may be the cause. Thanks for your help tho...cheers

cream. 21:22 17 Mar 2009

Is the firewall listed click here

Gaz4545 21:33 17 Mar 2009

No Cream other items are but nothing about windows firewall..the first item is NET Runtime Options.

Thanks.

Gaz4545 19:58 18 Mar 2009

just to recap..I have tried all the above advice, but to no avail. I did find the windows firewall in services but it says error 2 file missing. I still have all the Network adaptors with yellow exclimation marks next to them...and I have no Ethernet card..it says they are all disconnected...would really appreciate some help here guys..would a complete re-installation of windows help?...I dont really want to go down that route..but if needs must...thanks

recap 20:11 18 Mar 2009

Look in Event Viewer for any errors relating to your network card. Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer.

If there is note down the ID and Source and post those.

Or, boot into safe mode you should be able to delete the cards whilst in safe mode. Reboot your system and the correct card should be reinstalled by Windows.

Gaz4545 22:56 18 Mar 2009

Hi, Ok i went into safe mode and deleted the Ethernet card..but it would not let me delete the others...Direct Parallel, Sony Ericsson Device 069 Ethernet Emulation (NDIS 5)Packet Scheduler Mini Port...then the same again with#2 next to it. Then WAN Miniport (IP)..Wan Miniport (IP)-Packet Scheduler Miniport..WAN Miniport (L2TP)..same again but with (PPPOE)...and then same again but with (PPPOE). Interestingly there are no yellow indicators in Safe Mode. Ihave now also tried to get the Windows xp firewall started but it came up with error code 1068. I went to the event viewer, and to system..main thing was Service Control Manager showing error...the 7001 was the main number, if that helps?
Sorry if sounding vague..new stuff to me..but really appreciate your help and guidance on this problem....thanks again

MAJ 23:06 18 Mar 2009

What is the make and model of your computer, Gaz4545?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?