yahoo page automatically opens...pain !!!!!!

worcesterman47 11:45 16 Feb 2008

hi, when ever i launch "internet explorer" it obviously goes to my home page...but as soon as i attempt type anything into url address to change page..it always launches "yahoo sign in page"..i have a feeling it is to do with hot key set up..but where do i find this ? or could it be something else ? anyway ..i want to stop it happening..i am using win xp on a hewlett packard pavillion pc..many thanks in advance

Gongoozler 11:57 16 Feb 2008

Has this just started happening? I found this morning that when I accessed the Amazon UK site, I was immediately redirected to a dating site!! This has now cleared up so I assume that a hacker was at work.
Try resetting your home page to somewhere else and see what happens.

worcesterman47 12:03 16 Feb 2008

hi..no its happened since i got pc...it has some link to hewlett packard pc set up i am sure of that...its not a spyware or virus issue...just "bl***y" annoying

Gongoozler 12:09 16 Feb 2008

Try resetting the home page, I suggest Google, and see if you still get redirected. You can always set it back again.

worcesterman47 12:14 16 Feb 2008

my home page is already set for google...but when i type another url..then it opens another seperate window ...which is "yahoo sign in page" .. there is no change in home page at all.

johnnyrocker 12:20 16 Feb 2008

dont quite understand the sign in bit, is it messenger or something else? if messenger one can stop launches by selecting preferences.

johnny

Gongoozler 12:25 16 Feb 2008

Do you have the Yahoo Toolbar installed? Is this where you are redirected to?

Gongoozler 12:25 16 Feb 2008

Sorry - here? click here

worcesterman47 12:27 16 Feb 2008

hi, no its not messenger... imagine you wanted to sign into ..yahoo...you would type click here ok ? well, thats the page that launches whenever i want to type something into my homepage url bar after it has launched

Gongoozler 12:32 16 Feb 2008

Have you tried deleting all cookies and temporary Internet files?

johnnyrocker 12:34 16 Feb 2008

as far as i know one does not neeed to sign in to yahoo?

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?