xxx pop-ups. desktop shortcuts to xxx sites

Belfix 19:39 01 Jun 2005

not my pc but a friends and just trying to help..
running xp sp2 and now not connected to the internet. On start-up a red circle with a X in it appears on the active task bar and displays a balloon containing something like "Attention Desctop and Homepage now autorized..." yes the speeling is as. Additionally shortcuts to xxx web pages are displayed on the desktop and I cannot remove them. If you let the mouse hover over the red circle - it kicks off one of the xxx web pages - any ideas or more questions as to how I/we can help

VoG II 19:41 01 Jun 2005

Try AntiSpyware click here

Belfix 13:28 03 Jun 2005

AVG, spybot, Adware and the ms beta version do not detect anything wrong!

Indigo 1 13:47 03 Jun 2005

Try Ewido click here

Belfix 14:35 03 Jun 2005

I'll try this one over the next few days - thankyou for your interest

ChrisRLG 14:54 03 Jun 2005

You need to use hijackthis under expert guidance.

Try MalWare Removal (MWR) click here or one of the other ASAP support sites from click here

HJT is available from the downloads page at that site.

MWR is a teaching school for this type of thing.
(PS. In case of someone else posting this, I am the owner of that MWR site, I and Nellie2 along with 4 other teachers check all posts at that site.)

Belfix 17:00 03 Jun 2005

Thanks all..after a little more delving and diving I have found some spurious entries in the registry that point to a site click here and other similar ones ie click here will try and give more information when next off - that is Monday 6th pm

tks one and all

VoG II 17:06 03 Jun 2005

click here but you would be better to do as ChrisRLG suggested.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie