xxcopy

pj123 15:50 11 May 2003

I have downloaded xxcopy many times but I have never been able to get it to work.

As it is a zip file can someone tell me where it should be unzipped to. Every time I try to use it from Start, Run I get "unable to find specified file"

At the moment it is unzipped to a folder called "xxcopy". Should it be unzipped to Windows somewhere???

LastChip 16:35 11 May 2003

Are you aware, xxcopy is not a graphical user interface? It is run from a command line, similar to DOS.

It's not something you can double click and a program appears.

If you search one of the search engines, there are many sites offering tutorials on how it works.

pj123 16:41 11 May 2003

yes, I am aware of that. I normally use xcopy, but I have been told so many times that xcopy doesn't like long file names, although i have never had a problem with it so far.

LastChip 17:02 11 May 2003

First, I unzipped xxcopy into a dedicated folder, created in the route of my C: drive.

Once expanded, double click the installation (XX) icon, and you will be asked all the normal questions about licensing etc.

Finally, it tell you the best place to put the application is in C: Windows/Command.

Once the program is in there, if you open up a DOS window or boot into DOS, change your directory to the above and then type xxcopy (so it will look like this)

C:/Windows/Command>xxcopy

it will take you into the application. However, you don't see anything, because you haven't actually given the application a command. So try;

C:Windows/Command>xxcopy /help

and you will go into the help file, with the different syntax possibilities.

pj123 17:12 11 May 2003

Give me a minute to try that and I will post back.

Thanks.

pj123 11:33 12 May 2003

Thank you. It seems like it has to be installed in \windows\command. It worked for me at last.

Thanks again everyone.

ticked as resolved.

Wak 16:14 12 May 2003

Hi pj123, I hope I'm not telling you something you already know but I've been using XXCOPY for over 12 months now and I just go to START/ Programs/ MS Dos Prompt and type:-

XXCOPY C:\ D:\/CLONE

and it clones my C Drive (complete with all system files, programs & data) on to my D drive.

For the people who do not know about the Free XXCOPY, have a look at click here.

It's quick, easy and free, and brilliant for backing up.

Legolas 17:33 12 May 2003

Very informative

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?