xp/vista mbr problems

brett1500 14:55 29 Sep 2007

Hi folks i have been using xp + vista dual boot for quite some time now without any problems. I decided to reinstall xp which went well until i restarted the pc. I get the usual boot screen with os installed (although it looks different on starting) and now ive 2 copies of xp home edition and no mention of vista. Only 1 of these xp boots up and i can access the vista files through my computer. I have tried recovery with xp disc (FIXMBR) to no avail. If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Jim_F 15:13 29 Sep 2007

Hi Brett1500

Unfortunately Microsoft changed the Bootloader for Vista - it seems that this can accomodate multiple MS OS's but the old bootloader doesn't know what to do with Vista.

You don't say what your setup is but for multiple OS's on one disk Vista seems to need to be the last although I've also put seperate OS installs onto seperate harddisks with the Vista disk disabled and used Vistabootpro to add the OS to the Vista bootmenu.

Vistabootpro may help you as this lets you set bootloader options but otherwise it may be down to a repair install/reinstall of Vista

click here

Goodluck, JimF

brett1500 16:07 29 Sep 2007

Thanks for that Jim_F but is there anything like that for xp which im stuck on?

Jim_F 09:48 30 Sep 2007

I am aware of some linux utilities that let you juggle boot loaders but that can get tricky and trash everything - been there, done that :).

Reinstalling Vista should do the trick - but I take it you want to avoid this ?

Vistabootpro appears to give the option of an XP or Vista bootloader - but I'm guessing you can't get this to run under XP ?

1234s282 16:39 05 Oct 2007

Use easybcd - just google it , its free.

Delete all the entries in the bootloader you find.

Add a new entry for xp , specifying xp partition/drive

Then add Vista entry

then go to "Change Bootloader" , click reinstall vista bootloader then click "Write MBR"

you also might want to change the boot timer ( on one of the menus in the program)

reboot and you should get the OS choice menu

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?