XPSP2 Shutdown Problem!!!!!

TED1 16:06 26 Aug 2004

I have just installed XPSP2 on my laptop running XP Home, and now it hangs on shutdown and will not shutdown. The event log says "the embedded controller (EC) hardware didnt respond within the time out period........... causing the operating system to stop responding.

Causes. error in the EC hardware or firmware.
a poorly designed basic input output system (BIOS) that accesses the EC incorrectly.

It did not do this BEFORE I installed XPSP2.

A did a file search on the source ACPIEC and it came up with I386. What is this and how can I put this right.
Can anyone help please!

woodchip 16:17 26 Aug 2004

Only thing that I could think is Do a restore to before the SP2 or from Restore Disc and do not put SP2 on comp or try a BIOS update if you are that desperate to install it. For me I would leave it off

TED1 16:49 26 Aug 2004

thanks, I did do a system restore and it now works fine. Funny thing is I have installed XPSP2 on my Desktop with XP pro on it and no problems so far! Just goes to show that it will effect different systems in different ways!.
I run a zonealarm firewall and anti-virus software, do I need the security features of XPSP2 or am I covered enough now?

TED1 16:49 26 Aug 2004

thanks, I did do a system restore and it now works fine. Funny thing is I have installed XPSP2 on my Desktop with XP pro on it and no problems so far! Just goes to show that it will effect different systems in different ways!.
I run a zonealarm firewall and anti-virus software, do I need the security features of XPSP2 or am I covered enough now?

woodchip 22:30 26 Aug 2004

No I do not think you need it. Too much fuss about loading it, I think it's the latest craze.

THE TERMINATOR 00:10 27 Aug 2004

If it gives you problems, it is best left alone until Microsoft sort them out....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?