xps 1710

AL47 12:13 18 Apr 2007

what exactly can you get away with upgrading once already purchased for this machine?

It is a intel core 2 due

MAJ 13:37 18 Apr 2007

What do you have in mind, AL47?

Totally-braindead 13:53 18 Apr 2007

If what you are asking about is a Dell Notebook then I have to point out that apart from upgrading memory, depending on which one you pick and assumming theres a free slot left you can't really do anything to it in the way of upgrading.

AL47 14:13 18 Apr 2007

well ive heard that you can get to most parts, processor, gpu, hdd

MAJ 14:14 18 Apr 2007

it, seemingly, depends on which processor it is using. If it's the "Core 2 Duo T7600G." processor, then it's possible to overclock it because the multiplier has been unlocked. Usual warnings apply about overclocking, if you don't know what you're doing, leave it alone.

AL47 14:18 18 Apr 2007

ive heard that you can replace parts as well.

MAJ 15:28 18 Apr 2007

As Totally-braindead has said, AL47, usually the only parts that users can [comfortably] change on the inside of a laptop are the memory and the hard drive. I think you have 2GB of memory installed and an 80GB hard drive. That's plenty of memory for everyday tasks, but the hard drive is only..... sufficient, I would think, depending on what you want to use the laptop for.

AL47 15:43 18 Apr 2007

hard drive isnt really the problem as i have a 100gb one anyway, its the gpu that i need to be able to improve.

Totally-braindead 16:20 18 Apr 2007

You can't do it, whatever is on the laptop when you get it thats what you end up with. If you want the more powerful GPU you buy it when you get the original laptop.

Totally-braindead 16:39 18 Apr 2007

Because the laptop comes with a choice of 2 GPUs I believe that it is probably based on two different boards.
Laptops can run hot anyway so overclocking as far as I am concerned would be even riskier than usual and theres no way to upgrade the internal cooling.

To explain AL47 the graphics processor on a laptop is physically part of the motherboard, you cannot just unscrew it and plug in a new one as you can with a desktop.
I suppose you could perhaps replace the whole motherboard but this would be so expensive its not really a viable option.
I've built perhaps 20 or 30 desktops as well as repaired and upgraded many more and I would not even attempt it even if I got the board for free.
I dismantled one laptop and it took me 3 days to get it back together - never again.

Want a gaming machine - buy a desktop which can be upgraded and you'd have enough left over for a cheap laptop for everything else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?