XPhome-bodged installation

rash wilson 10:02 24 May 2004

After several bodged attempts at re-installation I now have a XPhome up and running however on re-booting I am presented with a choice of three XPhomes (only one of which works}. How can I remedy this?

duckers 10:37 24 May 2004

Get a DOS boot disk, boot up from it and do fdisk on your main hard drive, wipe it completely of all partitions, etc, create your new partitions and reinstall xp.. .

temp003 10:57 24 May 2004

It's a matter of editing a file called c:\boot.ini.

But you need to find out which is your "default" operating system, and which is the one that works.

When you boot up and get presented with the menu of 3 choices, one of them is already highlighted. That one is the "default" operating system. Remember its position in the list (whether it's the top, middle, or bottom choice).

Then you need to remember which one is the one that works, again meaning whether it's the top, middle or bottom selection. It may be the same as the default OS, or a different one.

Then boot into the copy of XP that works.

Click Start, Run, type c:\boot.ini and press Enter.

This will open the file c:\boot.ini in Notepad.

Insert a floppy, click File, Save as, and save the file as a:\boot.ini as a backup first. Remove floppy.

Copy and paste the text of the boot.ini file here, and tell us which is the default OS, and which is the copy that works (top, middle or bottom).

Then we'll tell you how to edit the boot.ini file.

€dstowe 11:09 24 May 2004

Go to Control Panel, System then click on Advanced.

In Startup and Recovery click on Settings. You will see System Startup and under that there is a dropdown box with all your Windows installations listed and below that "time to display list of operating systems.

You have a choice of deleting the extra operating systems from the dropdown or (safer) reducing the time offered in the "time to display - - " list to, say, two seconds.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires