XP won't install on laptop just hangs.

bda72 19:53 15 Mar 2011

I am trying to install windows XP onto my old laptop which is a Toshiba Satellite M50-130, it boots off the setup cd and shows all the setup files it is loading in the bar at the bottom of the screen. I am then left with the blue setup screen with "Windows Setup" in the top left of the screen and "Setup is starting Windows" on the grey bar at the bottom of the screen. This is where it hangs and stays until it is turned off.
I did have XP installed on this machine from this same setup disk and only stopped using it after an annoying glitch with the mouse pad and a dodgy connection in the hinge which means the display flickers at certain angles.
I decided to resurrect it as a movie player for taking on holiday as it is expendable, I couldn't find my old XP disk so just threw Windows 7 at it withou doing my homework (doh!). Although win 7 installed easily it has no support from Toshiba and therefore no drivers for the wifi or sound which are two of the things I really need.
Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading, looking forward to any suggestions.

Many thanks.

Barry.

mgmcc 20:14 15 Mar 2011

Did you delete the partitions created by Windows 7 before trying to reinstall XP?

woodchip 21:01 15 Mar 2011

Old Laptop! how old. It may not be able to cope with XP

bda72 21:26 15 Mar 2011

Laptop origonally came with XP, years ago I did a clean install of XP after losing the recover disk.
I have not removed Win 7, thought I would get an option to format after booting from XP disk but it doesn't seem to get that far.

Barry.

robin_x 21:42 15 Mar 2011

Maybe disc is scratched? Bad sector?
Does it sound like its 'hunting'.

My original XP Gold disc doesn't always fully work.
Although it has the decency to give me Cyclic error Abort/Retry/Fail. I then pop in a copy of the disc (made when new) and off it continues until that one hits a scratch.

Recently I made another copy and did not get any errors at all when doing that.

None of the discs have been handled excessively. I haven't touched them very often.

Anyway try making a copy of yours?

=======
As your holiday approaches, if you still have problems, make a live CD of Ubuntu or some distro.

You can watch movies and browse to a public connection on that.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:14 15 Mar 2011
  woodchip 22:31 15 Mar 2011

You cannot over write Win7 With XP you have to format the disc first

bda72 23:55 15 Mar 2011

I have tried formating the hard drive booting from the win7 disk but still no change, have I done that wrong?

Still don't have any options when booting from the xp disk.

Barry.

Ashrich 00:08 16 Mar 2011

Ideally you need to remove the laptop's hard drive and format it in a caddy .

In Windows from XP upwards ( as far as I know ) you can use the disk management facility to delete all partitions and reformat before refitting the disk and going through the XP set up again .

Ashley

mgmcc 07:42 16 Mar 2011

Windows 7 uses a small partition of about 30MB from which to boot as well as the main "C" Drive partition in which Windows is installed.

I'd suggest, therefore, that after booting with the XP disk you delete all existing partitions. Then let XP's installation create a new partition of the size you want in which to install Windows.

woodchip 10:54 16 Mar 2011

You cannot Delete Partitions that are in use in Windows

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?