XP won't burn CD's

smy13 17:35 23 Dec 2006

Hi all

I've got a problem with the XP CD burning wizard. it's stopped working, It keeps telling the that there is no disk in the drive,even when there is. I can however burn to the same Cd's using the same drive if I use Nero so the issue seems to be XP

So far I've done the following
- tried different media
- made sure the drive is enabled to record
- uninstalled the drive and then reinstalled.
- gone back with system restore as far as I can.

more annoying the critical I know, but it bugs the hell out of me when something doesn't work properly

postie24 17:41 23 Dec 2006

Have you removed any burning software lately?

postie24 17:54 23 Dec 2006

Try clearing out the upper and lower filters in registry.Create a restore point 1st,then follow these instructions. 1. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
2. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or
3. clicking the "+" next to it.)
4. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
5. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
6. Expand the "Control" Key
7. Expand the "Class" Key
8. Please look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
9. High light this key by left clicking once on it
10. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these please delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
11. Please exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

smy13 18:06 23 Dec 2006

I had a trial of ulead video 10 that I removed I'll try the registry fix you suggest. and let you know It'll have to be after Strictly come dancing though, that Karen Hardy's so Hot !!

postie24 18:10 23 Dec 2006

Ok smy13,let us know how you get on,enjoy strictly come dancing,karen hardy,wow,lol

smy13 19:24 23 Dec 2006

Done as you suggested only LowerFilters were available to delete. rebooted but still no joy

baldtaco 19:32 23 Dec 2006
  postie24 20:07 23 Dec 2006

Are you getting any error messages in device manager?

Strawballs 21:25 23 Dec 2006

click here Try using this it's free easy to use and despite it's name will also do DVD's

€dstowe 21:34 23 Dec 2006

Messages telling you there is no disk in the drive when you know that there is often indicates a failed or failing drive.

A replacement drive is not expensive.

Strawballs 21:45 23 Dec 2006

click here As €dstowe has pointed out a sony Dual layer DVD rewriter for under £23

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from Petya?

Microsoft Surface Studio – the artist's hands-on review

Original iPhone review

Comment mettre à jour Kodi ?