XP won't boot into Safe Mode

RoA 13:10 14 Jan 2006

My Pc with XP Home won't boot into safe mode. When attempting this it scrolls through the files and stops at ............Windows/System32/Drivers/Mup.sys. I have tried installing another copy of this file from another pc but to no avail. Any help or advice gratefully received.

Chegs ®™ 13:33 14 Jan 2006

If you type mup sys into google there are hundreds of suggestions to resolve this.Unfortunately,what works for one doesn't work for another.Some say its a registry corruption,others say its an item of hardware,others say its a driver.

I suggest you remove all un-necessary hardware(modem/USB devices,etc)and try again.

zemdarin 17:50 14 Jan 2006

Hi RoA I take it you have tried clicking on start/run typed msconfig selected BOOT.INI and selected safe mode. If not that will do it.

mgmcc 18:08 14 Jan 2006

If, after setting it up in MSCONFIG to /safeboot, the PC still won't boot into Safe Mode, isn't it possible that "RoA" might be unable to load Windows at all?

RoA 18:22 14 Jan 2006

Thanks to all.
When I search on Mup.sys there does seem to be no end of possibilities for the problem and I will have to work through some of the suggested solutions for them.
I had the same thought as mgmcc about the msconfig boot into safe mode option. Does anyone know if I would be able to get out of it and load windows in normal mode?

zemdarin 20:51 14 Jan 2006

Hi Roa Yes you will be able to get out of it. Just try it, it wont hurt. Start your computer normally then follow the instructions, then reboot your computer it should start in safe mode. If it does you can then try and fix your problem. Type msconfig again and change it back to normal start-up. It will most probably ask you anyway.

mgmcc 20:58 14 Jan 2006

<<< reboot your computer it should start in safe mode. If it does you can then try and fix your problem. Type msconfig again and change it back to normal start-up. >>>

...and if it doesn't start in Safe Mode (in which case it isn't going to boot at all!) how do you get back into MSCONFIG to reverse the setting?

zemdarin 21:14 14 Jan 2006

Does your computer start normally now? Can you get to the desktop? What did you do when it stopped before to be able to get back onto your computer? Have you also tried to see if your registry is OK, by using a registry cleaner. you can get a trial version or try a free version. Starting in safe mode is the same as starting your computer normally. You can always try "services" and start-up instead of BOOT.INI. Disable all start-up programs except what you need to check. Disable all services. It won't allow you to disable services that are essential. Then try and reboot.

RoA 09:02 15 Jan 2006

If I try the msconfig/safe mode option and it does not work - ie freezes, I will have to switch off via the main power switch. If I then switch on again am I right in assuming that I will be able to use the f8 option to get back to normal mode?

mgmcc 09:41 15 Jan 2006

To emulate what would happen if you performed the MSCONFIG procedure without the associated risk, copy these three files from the root of "C" drive to a floppy disk. You will need to set Windows Explorer to show both "Hidden Files" and "Protected Operating System Files":

NTLDR
NTDETECT.COM
BOOT.INI

After copying the Boot.ini file to the floppy, edit it with Notepad to add /SAFEBOOT:MINIMAL as per the line in this screenshot, but DON'T do it in MSCONFIG. click here

Then boot the PC with the floppy disk. It should boot into Safe Mode but, if it doesn't, you can just remove the floppy and nothing has changed.

mgmcc 09:48 15 Jan 2006

<<< If I then switch on again am I right in assuming that I will be able to use the f8 option to get back to normal mode? >>>

I should have said that the answer to that is "No", which is why I have serious reservations about using the setting in MSCONFIG when you know there are problems loading Safe mode.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache