XP Won`t Boot at all

Taff36 16:27 13 Aug 2005

Compaq Laptop has suddenly decide not to boot. I have tried safe mode and last known configuration but with no success. Unfortunately all my links to advice on this subject are stored on this laptop. (All collected from this forum of course!) I think I need to do an XP repair. I`ve never done this on my own computer before so can someone provide me with the correct link please.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:36 13 Aug 2005

Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

VoG II 16:36 13 Aug 2005

click here

Good luck.

Taff36 17:45 13 Aug 2005

Thank you both. Couldn`t have hoped more that you two were around on a wet afternoon! The exact link I wanted as well. I`ll give it a go and post back soon.

Taff36 17:45 13 Aug 2005

Thank you both. Couldn`t have hoped more that you two were around on a wet afternoon! The exact link I wanted as well. I`ll give it a go and post back soon.

Taff36 18:01 13 Aug 2005

Not Good. Got as far as 4 (accepted The License Agreement) but the next screen was not expected. Itsays: The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. The only partition (C) is 38MB and "unknown". The options are to set up windows on the selected item (Enter), To create a partition in the unpartitioned space (Press C) or to delete the partition (Press D !!!) I can quit (F3) which sounds like a good option to me. This looks bad. Anyone like to confirm what I`m thinking?

Diodorus Siculus 21:10 13 Aug 2005

Try fixing the master boot record first of all:

Microsoft Windows XP - Restoring the MBR
click here

If no good, then choose the first option and set up windows on the selected area.

woodchip 21:16 13 Aug 2005

Have you had Ghost Image software installed?

woodchip 21:20 13 Aug 2005

You could try TestDisk from click here

Taff36 22:58 13 Aug 2005

I`m going to read up on these two suggestions. I have some current work on the computer that isn`t backed up and losing data isn`t an option I want to consider at the moment. I have`nt had Ghost Image Software on this laptop - why did you ask Woodchip?

woodchip 23:01 13 Aug 2005

As it changes Partitions

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?