XP Won't boot after trying to copy hard drive,

mik61ish 22:32 15 May 2008

I tried copying my 40GB hard drive which is getting noisy to another 20GB drive I have as a slave with Paragon Drive copy 8.5, I selected source 40GB to 20GB to save. The system shut down and now it will not reboot, just keeps recycling the black XP screen then shuts down again. I have tried repairing with XP disc fixmbr is there another option with XP repair?

brundle 22:47 15 May 2008

"I tried copying my 40GB hard drive which is getting noisy" - perhaps you copied the drive just in time. Run manufacturer's diagnostics on it; click here

brundle 22:47 15 May 2008

Or did it not get as far as the copying stage? Above still applies

bjh 10:53 16 May 2008

If you have copied the drive, the original drive needs to be disconnected before first boot in many cases of drive copying like this.

If you copy C to D, and then reboot the computer from D while C is still attached, Windows gets hung over which is C and which is D.

Image C to D. Disconnect C physically. The "D" left in will then be recognised as the only, and hence C drive. You can then reattach the original C drive which will be found as D...

pj123 15:28 16 May 2008

How do you copy 40gb to 20gb?

That's like trying to put a quart into a pint pot?

Technotiger 15:41 16 May 2008

Perhaps the quart pot is less than half full ?

pj123 17:38 16 May 2008

Technotiger, well yes that's true but I think I would go for a copy from like to like.

I wouldn't like to try it. I would go for a copy from 40gb to 40gb.

Diemmess 17:53 16 May 2008

Haven't used Paragon but I go with Technotiger about capacity.
Have a look in my computer > drive C: > Properties
With luck the used space will be <20Gb

Crossing fingers and hoping C: still functions, why not disconnect the data cable from the slave drive and see if the PC boots normally

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?