XP won`t boot

RFB 22:02 03 Aug 2008

Hi all
Had a problem trying to delete a file which was in use with some unknown program but my system would not boot to safe mode to let me delete it.
I ran msconfig and under boot.ini ticked safe mode.
After that the system would not boot at all. It kept trying to boot to safe mode then re-booted itself.
I decided to try a cd repair which seemed to going well until it froze, now the system just freezes asking for the xp cd and freezes when I boot from it.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks, an old forum helper... RFB 8-)

lotvic 22:54 03 Aug 2008

Try booting straight into Safe mode by repeatedly tapping F5 as the computer starts up

Or F8 for the boot menu options

BUSYLISSE 23:18 03 Aug 2008

this might sound stupid,but did you check your boot choices in bios.?

RFB 06:47 04 Aug 2008

Thanks for the replies folks but both suggestions produce no joy. The machine freezes with a corrupt dos screen.
I need some way of altering the boot.ini file without running XP which won`t launch. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

RFB 8-)

Graham. 08:39 04 Aug 2008

Do you get any POST beeps at any stage?

crosstrainer 09:01 04 Aug 2008

XP repair:

click here

Step by step guide.

woodchip 16:13 04 Aug 2008

Have you tried last known good configuration after tapping F8???????

PO79 16:53 04 Aug 2008

click here and follow the advise regarding creating an XP boot floppy, you can do this from any XP machine, Then return to the page linked and follow the ins ructions regarding using the Recovery Console to get your system started again.

hiwatt 16:54 04 Aug 2008

Can you do a system restore from safe mode or last known good configuration" as above.

lotvic 19:49 04 Aug 2008

If you have a floppy drive
from pca thread click here

XP BOOT floppy DISK
It takes just one floppy disk,

First format a Floppy disk in XP like from Run, type

Format A: /u

Then open Notepad and copy and Paste this

[boot loader]
timeout=-1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\WINDOWS="First harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, first partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, second partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, third partition" /sos
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second harddisk, fourth partition" /sos
C:\="Previous Operating System on C:\"

Save in Notepad as BOOT.INI

Then in search find

NTDETECT.COM
NTLDR

Add these two files to the floppy disk
you can now try starting your computer with the floppy disk

RFB 20:00 04 Aug 2008

Many thanks for all your replies.

I have one post beep which I believe tells me the machine is fine and was until I ran msconfig and altered boot.ini (ticked safe mode)
The system boots from the XP cd but there is no repair console.
When re-installing the os I think the install always returns to the bad boot.ini file.
It get as far as copying all the files, tries to reboot the system then freezes.
F8 of F5 have no effect.
I will have to try to get the floppy drive working as it does not and never has. I never had any reason to try to repair it.
I`ll have to dismantle the thing (moan) and see what I can do.
Once again, thanks to all who have helped.
I`ll post back.

RFB 8-(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?