XP won't allow download floppies from Win98Se

jockym 10:43 17 Aug 2003

New pc with XP will not allow me to transferr my address book, favourites,important emails etc taken from the previous PC running Win 98SE onto a floppy, when I try I get the following message.
Floppies
A:\ is not accessible floppy disc controller reported an error that is not recognised by the floppy disc driver
OK
Have tried to get through to Mesh Online - veeeery difficult!! hoping for help from one of you guys or dolls.

Cheers the noo

Rikku 10:48 17 Aug 2003

when i changed my motherboard i had the smae problem only on windows ME i think its something to do with drivespace 3 befor i changed my motherboard i could use drivespace 3 to extract the data onto a hidden J drive. i dont know much about windows xp so if you have drive space 3 try launching that

AndySD 10:59 17 Aug 2003

Have try putting a blank floppy in the XP pc and try to copy Data to it. Post back if it works or mot.

dth 12:29 17 Aug 2003

The first thing to check is whether it is the floppy disc or whether it is the floppy disc drive that is causing the problem. Try a different floppy disc in your drive and copy something over.

Peverelli 13:17 17 Aug 2003

Maybe you could use a friend's computer and email the contents of the floppy to yourself.

wee eddie 15:33 17 Aug 2003

Can you Copy and Paste the Message you get, into a thread, as the wording you have used doesn't sound quite right and the exact wording may give away the vital clue.

jockym 16:31 18 Aug 2003

AndySD - yes I have tried that Andy and I get
"End Programme: Address Book - Main Identity"
This prog is not responding.
To return to windows and check the status of the programme click Cancel.
If you choose to end the programme immediately you will loose any unsaved data-
to end prog now click End Now."

wee eddie - Apart from a couple of grammer mistakes I think you'll find the wording is about right. Besides I don't know how to Copy and Paste :-(

AndySD 17:23 18 Aug 2003

Ok I am sorry I didnt expain it well.

Right click on the Desktop and choose "New" then "Text Document"

Place a blank floppy in the drive.

Now Right Click on the New Document and choose "Send To" and click on "A Drive"

Does this work????

jockym 17:54 18 Aug 2003

AndySD- In a word NO.
Have also tried to make the bootable disc for the AVG rescue which I had just downloaded -
the message was" /!\Cannot access drive" - so it looks very much like a faulty drive.
I have emailed Mesh earlier today and await their reply.

AndySD 18:42 18 Aug 2003

Yes or a cable has come loose.... but thats down to mesh to sort out.

wee eddie 19:26 18 Aug 2003

Copy and Paste:

1. Use Mouse to place the Cursor at the beginning of text to be copied.

2. Press Left Hand Button (Left Click)and drag the cursor across the words, so highlighting the text to be copied.

3. Remove the finger from the Left Hand Button, but leaving the cursor within the Highlighted area.

4. Press the Right Hand Button (Right Click).

5. In the little grey box that appears > Left Click > Copy

6. Place the Cursor where you wish the Text to reappear.

7. Right Click > (In the little grey box that appears) Left Click > Paste

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?