XP wiped off

knobler 12:38 11 Jan 2006

I'll try and explain this as best possible due to being at work!

My Daughter booted up up our Mesh computer and it came up with message push F10 for receovery. As I wasn't around she done this and wasn't able to recover the machine. She inserted the Recovery CD Rom which proceeded to reinstall XP. However, evertime the machine is booted up it comes up with a black and white screen giving you the option to start windows Xp or re..... something - sorry can't remember at this stage.

This is partitioned with the C:/Recovery showing but I'm not sure if this is right or not,. Mesh told me to phone a premium rate support line despite the computer only being new in last Septemebr! Sorry there's not much to work on but if you need more info, please shout - like I have!!!!

TomG 12:49 11 Jan 2006

It may be the recovery tool - if I remember it can let you re-install or repair. Maybe try repair first and you might be able to retrieve any personal files.

knobler 12:51 11 Jan 2006

Apparently my daughter tried recovery but was unable to so proceeded with the re-install as we're pretty good with backing up etc...

TomG 13:03 11 Jan 2006

What happens if you select windows xp at startup?

Mytob 13:21 11 Jan 2006

Well firt of all congrats for nuking windoz. That was the first step to a better pc lol! Seems you have everything backed up consider using linux insted of windoz. Summin like Suse click here or Debian click here . There free and hell there alot more secure that xp is. All you need if you dont do gaming on your pc. And as for all the rubbish about being hard to use well yes it is just that rubbish. If it wasnt for gaming id use linux exclusivly. If for sum reson you still want to go with Micro$sucks and there aporling os then sounds like youl have to format and reinstall via the disk provided form the manufatorer of your pc. Aalso i never bother wil hotlines as the person on the other end dont no what there going on about half the time and as you said they cost in most cases. Forums are free and you get indipendent advide from multiple ppl for squat.

knobler 13:25 11 Jan 2006

Thanks for telling me that - I've got faith in Windows if you haven't. I'll have to find out how to format and re-install the disk if that is was what's really needed!

medicine hat 13:38 11 Jan 2006

Isn't there any information in the manual on how to complete a reinstall? There are plenty of Mesh customers on here so someone is likely to have useful experience of this procedure.

007al 14:21 11 Jan 2006

There should be a partition on the hard drive to put everything back to how you received it.What are the exact options you get when inserting the disc?

€dstowe 16:21 11 Jan 2006

If you are "pretty good with backing up etc..." then you should be able to do a re-install from that or do you only have file and settings backups?

Forum Editor 16:37 11 Jan 2006

is designed to restore the computer to its factory state, and should do just that. I'm not familiar with Mesh practice, but if they're the same as many other manufacturers the Windows files are stored in a special hidden partition on the drive. The restore CD simply recovers the original installation.

Bear in mind that this process will take you back to day one - any software you've installed will be gone.

rsinbad 16:57 11 Jan 2006

Think you will find that if he restores to factory settings all data and programs installed will be lost.It would be as if he had just bought the computer.However if there is a repair option then he should be ok.

Can you access safe mode if yes would try system restore first, if not see if there is an option to repair in the recovery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?