XP Windows Explorer - Deleting Files

eego 12:22 10 Feb 2006

Can someone plese tell me if there is any damage in using Windows explorer to delete Files directly from "Program Files" and what the likely consequences are regarding various links.

QuizMan 13:21 10 Feb 2006

This is not something to recommend. To do so will leave behind numerous entries in the Windows registry which eventually leads to a slow down in performance. Also it leaves behind entries on the Start/Programs list. The March edition of PCA carries an excellent article on cleaning up your PC including file deletion.

eego 14:04 10 Feb 2006

Thanks Quizman. I suspected there was likely to be problems with the registry but as, I already use "Windows registry repair", I was considering whether or not that would automatically clean-up the registry links with the program file deleted. It would then only require the item to be removed from the Start/programs list. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to bypass "Add/Remove programs" but get rid of program files still remaining after they have been uninstalled. In the meantime I will try and back- check on the arcticle that you referred too

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache