XP and Windows 7 Dual Boot

Aaron-188486 23:05 16 Nov 2009

When the RC version of Windows 7 came out I installed it on my test machine that was preloaded with XP. I used the option to partition XP just in case. XP was placed on the second drive (E: which is 2gb) and 7 was installed on my main drive (C: which is 36gb) I have removed the windows 7 OS however the system files for XP is on the smaller drive, so now I am unable to update and download etc... as the hard drive is so small. Is there anyway I can make C: drive the primary drive again or merge the two. unfortunately i do not have the factory disc for XP so I am unable to reinstall unless you good people have an easy way of doing this?

skeletal 10:42 17 Nov 2009

You need disc partitioning software:

click here

I was lucky enough to get Partition Manager free on a magazine cover disc some time ago (one of the very rare occasions I’ve used a cover disc).

I have also use Power Quest Partition Magic, but this failed recently when I tried to partition a large drive (I don’t know why). The Paragon software “undid” the wrecking and successfully completed the partition.

There may be other free stuff; perhaps others could advise.

There is always the small risk that any partitioning software could "wreck" the disc, so make a backup of important stuff first. In your case, such a disaster would also mean you would, potentially, lose XP as well.

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?