XP to windows 7

digbee2500 09:33 04 Apr 2010

Can anyone advise please.I have bought a genuine windows 7 disc with product code, can I put this straight onto my pc which is running on windows xp at the moment or do I need to do anything else first?

Proclaimer 09:42 04 Apr 2010

there is no upgrade path to Windows 7 from XP so you have to do a clean install. You will have to ensure any files you want to keep are copied off the drive you intend to have Windows 7 on.

birdface 09:43 04 Apr 2010

From Microsoft.

click here

john bunyan 11:04 04 Apr 2010

What I did was to copy all "My Documents" folders,Favourites etc. to an external HD. Formatted C: Drive with 2 Partitions :C for system (100Gig) and F: (in my case) for Data.
Then a "Clean install" into C: of W7 and other programmes - ATI, Photoshop, Printers etc.Then imported "My Docs" into F: partition and "told" the W7 library system where to find them.
Don't forget Outlook Express does not work in W7 so dacide what Mail system to use (I now use Outlook 2007) but Windows Live Mail is another choice. Then Google to see how to keep and transfer your e Mail before formatting.
I also , before the format,downloaded to the external HD all the drivers I needed for TV tuner, Scanners etc, to save time.I assume you have run the MS W7 advisor to check your soft and hardware is OK?

Sbrads 22:36 04 Apr 2010

The MS W7 advisor is unreliable. It said that hardly any of my hardware would work on Win7.64 but it all works fine.

Don't dismiss the idea of dual boot XP/Win7, it's quite easy to do and works fine.
Here's the guide I used......
click here

The only problem is 7's restore points vanishing when XP is used, this can be fixed by hiding the 7 partition from XP when using XP. There's a thread explaining how to fix it here......
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017