XP will not boot

emmandelo1 12:40 20 Jul 2008

Hi, I seem to have a major problem with XP not booting. It gets as far as the black screen with the scrolly blue dots and then freezes. I've tried system restore, didn't work so I tried the repair install as described in this forum. it got as far as telling me that windows will now reboot and the repair will continue but when it rebooted it froze again on the same screen. Any suggestions?

wis 13:11 20 Jul 2008

on start up f8 try last known good configuration

emmandelo1 13:19 20 Jul 2008

Hi wis, tried that and it didn't work. i now have another problem. I can't even get into safe mode as when i try it tells me that windows setup cannot run under safe mode.

hiwatt 14:50 20 Jul 2008

I would try the repair install again.Just to make sure you are doing it rightclick here

emmandelo1 16:08 20 Jul 2008

okay, it's sorted. It took three attempts to complete the repair install and even then it didn't work. But at least I was able to get into safe mode. Backed up the few bits I hadn't backed up from the last couple of days then took the lid off the computer. Gave it a thorough dusting and took both memory cards out, cleaned them and put them back in. Then it booted up just fine. I'm guessing that all along it was a memory card problem and that by merely taking them out and reseating them it cured the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?