XP / Vista Home Network

mimosa418 12:30 14 Aug 2009

I have recently installed a fresh version of XP Pro on my PC (HOME1). Since then I have problems with my network with a Vista Home Premium laptop. Previously I have had no problem with networking both machines which are connected by ethernet cable
I can access the shared vista files from the PC but if I try to access the files on HOME1 from the laptop I get the error message;
Windows cannot access \\HOME1 Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose”

Clicking diagnose brings up the message:
“Windows did not find any problems with this computers network connection.”

I can access the internet from the LAPTOP using the PC’s connection, and the HOME1 appears on the network map and in windows explorer on the laptop.

I have tried removing the Firewall and antivirus on both machines and various registry alterations as suggest for this error on numerous other forum without success.
Both machines can ping one another and themselves both by name and number

Fortunately I can manage with just the connection from the PC but it would be nice to have things working both ways. Has anyone encountered this problem and found a solution that works?

KremmenUK 13:25 14 Aug 2009

XP and Vista on a network was always going to be difficult.

The first thing to check is that the Network name is identical on both machines. XP and Vista have different default names so one needs to be changed.

Next hurdle is to ensure that the user logon name is also identical on both machines OR place all shared documants into the relevant shared areas on each PC "All Users" on XP for example.

It's been a few years since I did mine but I got there in the end.

mimosa418 13:35 14 Aug 2009

KremenUK
Both your suggestions have been checked.
I have been using this set up for a couple of years without any problems. Yes, it was difficult to get then both working originally, bit everything has been fine till I reinstalled XO pro
on the desktop.
I asume the problem lies there.

mimosa418 17:19 14 Aug 2009

Just for info. Areinstallation of SP3 fixed the problem. probably a missing or corrupted dll in the system.

Strawballs 22:30 19 Aug 2009

Glad you got it sorted. KremmenUK why is XP/Vista network going to be difficult, I currently have 3 on my home network 1 XP Pro, 1 Vista home basic and 1 Windows 7RC all working fine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?