XP, very slow shutting down

jessej 17:50 10 Mar 2003

Hi. XP has become very slow to shut down since doing a reformat in December after everything went belly up for reasons unknown. For example, from 'Start' click on Shut down, follow the procedure through until there is a blue screen with a box saying 'Windows is shutting down', the box goes off leaving a plain blue screen, and that is it for up to 2 minutes or so before it switches off. The shortest time has been 1min 20secs., the longest has been 2mins 5secs. As time goes by, so the delay appears to be getting longer. Any ideas please? I suspect that it might mean doing something in the registry, which I am not very confident about, especially after what happened in December, and yes, I was mucking about there then.

matt5705 17:55 10 Mar 2003

it could be that if you got alot of stuff in your start bar it could take a while to shut them all down

roygbiv 16:30 11 Mar 2003

A PC technican was visiting the other day, he told me that XP is always slow to shut down. Mine takes about the same as yours, and he told me that it was normal. Alan.

Andsome 16:32 11 Mar 2003

From clicking Shutdown, mine takes about half a minute.

Elrond 17:05 11 Mar 2003

I'd say mine is less than half a minute. You may have a lot of uneeded stuff starting up at bootup thus needing turning off at shutdown. I used to have a slow shutdown and found that my Antivirus s/w at the time(mcAfee) and direct cd was slowing everything down.

ams4127 19:50 11 Mar 2003

This can be caused by a process called "Nvidia driver help".

Go to Start - Administrative tools - Component services. Click on Local services and disable the above service, or set it to manual.

ams4127 21:44 12 Mar 2003

So, what was the answer?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone