XP very slow even after fresh install...

eshroom 20:12 20 Jan 2007

I have XP on a HP Pavillion zv5000. AMD64 3700, 512mb ram. It used to run fine.

Now it takes anything up to 20 minutes to start-up (time is reduced if the computer has been on for a while first). As far as running program's goes, it's not as bad as the start-up, but still leaves a lot to be desired. And it's not like I have the latest versions of any software, it's all the same stuff I've always had.

I have fresh installed windows several times, and before putting any other software on the start-up times are not improved at all, neither is the running of programs.

Checkdisk has sometimes been starting itself on start-up recently as well.

Any ideas what this could be? Perhaps the hard drive is past it's use by date? Or do you think the processor is shot? I just don't understand, it's is still usable but sooooo slow......

User-312386 20:27 20 Jan 2007

buy a cheap hdd and see

Technotiger 20:32 20 Jan 2007

Hi, in case it is the hd, I would advise you to make sure that you have a backup of anything important to you, before making any hardware changes.

Also, how old is your PSU? and is it powerful enough for your pc?

jimv7 20:35 20 Jan 2007

As madboy33©® try another hard drive, its a common symptom for the computer to be slow running when the hdd is on the way out.

Make sure you have backed up any important files.

eshroom 20:50 20 Jan 2007

Thanks everyone.

I don't think it's the PSU as it is a laptop so I'm guessing all the different bits are designed to work harmoniously. I'll try and find a cheap 2.5" hdd to try then.

Strawballs 21:09 20 Jan 2007

The only difference between your lappy and the 1 that I amusing at the moment is mine has 1 gig ram and is 21 months old mine is running fine, how old is yours?

eshroom 21:14 20 Jan 2007

Mine is about 18 months, but I think it was a factory refurb so probably older.

Strawballs 21:31 20 Jan 2007

So the HDD could be a lot older, I would try a new HDD.

woodchip 21:49 20 Jan 2007

My bet is on the Hard Drive

bleu 22:15 20 Jan 2007

its all about the graphic cards
get a mid end card and you will see big results
all because it requires alot more performence from there because the graphics are alot better

Dumble452 09:57 21 Jan 2007

My pc slowed down dramatically when I updated my internet security suite. I had to download a special uninstall program from Trend and reinstall the latest program in order to sort out the problem. Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?