XP - user a/c's passwords

wotbus@ 19:25 10 Oct 2006

I am a single user with no paswords set so I know little or nothing about them. This on behalf of a friend:
Main user and Son. Son has set up his "limited" account and passworded it. No problem.
Father now wants to password his "main user" account. I helped him do that, no problem.
During the setup we were promped to password folder/files and ummmmm baulked at that, not knowing what it really entailed. Hence this question:
If the option to password files/folder is taken, does that mean each time main user wants to open a file he has to type in his password, or is just "Docs/Settings" passworded? If it's each and everything he wants to open, isn't that more than a bit labour intensive?
Thanks anyone ;-)

STREETWORK 19:33 10 Oct 2006

If the user has acces to the files, then they will be able to open them.

When you start the Pc are you prompted to log in?

wotbus@ 19:38 10 Oct 2006

Hi STREETWORK. Just unsure of the mechanics of the whole thing. Each are now prompted to Log On, each has a password to do so. Once each/either are logged on, I assume they have access to each others stuff...unless one or the other or both Password their files/folders! What I am getting at is this: If you password your files/folders, does that mean each time you open a file when you are working for example, are you prompted for your password?

Bob The Nob© 19:56 10 Oct 2006

Thesons account has access to fathers work but hard to find.But if you have turn the fathers folders private, the son has NO access.

Beware, making folders private is OK, until the PC needs windows re-installed, then its a bit more technical to open them.

Bob

wotbus@ 20:44 10 Oct 2006

OK Bob, thanks for that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?