XP user accounts and passwords

Kitz E Kat 19:32 17 Sep 2003

Hi, my bro is setting up an administrator account on XP home, and limited accounts for the users...

It seems to me that the users have the right to set their own password , so the administrator is unable to gain access to that account without the password....

Is there a way around this, can the administrator stop the creation of a password by a user, or can the administrator give a user a password , which they can't change???

Thanks

Kitz E Kat

spikeychris 19:40 17 Sep 2003

Well my feline friend I hope so, as that is the entire reason for having an Admin account. Go to run and type Control userpasswords2, sort it from there.

Chris

cdb 19:49 17 Sep 2003

The administator can delete passwords if he wants to. ;)

Kitz E Kat 19:50 17 Sep 2003

Will pass that usefull bit of info on ...
I Kinda thought it a bit odd that you could change the thing with a limited account..

Thanks

Kitz E Kat

Kitz E Kat 19:50 17 Sep 2003

cbd
Kitz E

powerless 20:03 17 Sep 2003

It sure does...

can even add a shortcut to it in da control panel ;)

spikeychris 20:08 17 Sep 2003

click here and add "Control userpasswords2" to XP home.

Kitz E Kat 20:32 17 Sep 2003

Seems to be there on XP home, i had a look .....

Thanks all..

Kitz E kat

spikeychris 20:53 17 Sep 2003

has got a point. DO NOT use the Userpasswords2 applet to add or modify users in Windows XP Home Edition. This tool is reserved for Windows XP Professional Edition.

The Userpasswords2 applet allows access to the Power Users group which is NOT a built-in group in Windows XP Home Edition.

To add or edit a user in Windows XP Home Edition, use Control Panel / User Accounts, which does NOT show the Power Users group.

click here

Kitz E Kat 21:10 17 Sep 2003

but if i use the Userpasswords2 and disregard the Power User ( i hate that power user thing, its on my list that includes , 'working the room', 'solutions provider', and the best 'thinking outside the box' who the hell thinks up these things and would they not get a real job,,, Arhhhhhhhh,,,) anyway, sorry, if i disregard the Power user setting and only use the admin and limited accounts is that OK,

Just wondering, thats all..

Thanks all for your help
Kitz E Kat,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?