XP User account query - not urgent -

Stressed Mum 09:31 04 Sep 2010

Morning. This is not an urgent problem – or rather query – but I would appreciate any help that you may have. Windows XP – recently added a user account for husband to sync iPhone. This works well – but very irritating that every time I power up I have to select my own user account. I have found out how to turn him off using Tweak UI (very good) but it still shows my account at log in. Is there a way I can revert to automatic log in without having to select user. I do not have a password on the accounts. I have already tried moving me from the list as well; again using Tweak UI but then the login defaults to Guest. Can’t work very well from there so I have to override this with Ctrl Alt Delete to sign in – I wonder if there is an easy way to move all his folders to Guest account which I can then turn on/off. Incidentally I appear to have 2 Guest accounts!! One as Guest the other as ‘Guest’ – what’s that about? Ummm ? Strange…. I’ll keep experimenting – but if you have any ideas that can help I would welcome them. Thank you.

birdface 09:45 04 Sep 2010

Not sure if any of this is any good.

click here

I know I used it on XP and it stopped me from having to sign in all of the time.

But with different user accounts on your computer I am not sure.

provider 2 10:01 04 Sep 2010

Auto log-on for XP: click here

birdface 10:15 04 Sep 2010

Hi. Looks like mine and your solutions will not work.
Just read the small print on yours and it says.

If you’re the only person who uses your computer, you can make life a little easier by skipping the Welcome screen completely and having Microsoft Windows XP take you straight to your desktop.

So reading between the lines it is not going to work with more than 1 user account on the computer.
Looks like back to the drawing boards for another remedy.

Stressed Mum 11:19 04 Sep 2010

oh no .... I'm locked out now! Moved the folders in user account to Guest account. Turned off guest account. Deleted user account Followed the run command - restarted - and yes it bypassed the login screen and went straight to my desktop - BUT - I am a guest now?? Can't access other files on the pc and can't rerun the user account password command - asked for Administrator password - which I don't know. Can't system restore as I don't have that privilege and can't alter any user accounts. oopsy :(

provider 2 11:25 04 Sep 2010

... blooming user accounts, what a pain!

How about this, then? click here

Stressed Mum 11:38 04 Sep 2010

Thanks for that - have used that previously but it was the user accounts that was the problems - showing up at start up each day. anyway, now I have a bigger problem - I can only log on as a guest not administrator and can't get anywhere now. The pc logs me on automatically but I am unable to anything! If I change switch user I get offer the Administrator - which would be fine - but I do not know the password. eeekkk... I've blown it!

northumbria61 11:44 04 Sep 2010

This MAY help - click here

provider 2 11:45 04 Sep 2010

... just about covers it.

This any help? click here

northumbria61 11:46 04 Sep 2010

There's another solution here - click here

birdface 11:46 04 Sep 2010

If your other half is signed on as an administrator he can go into your account and make you an administrator as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?