XP User Account problems

griffo 11:25 27 May 2005

PC has a default account called "Administrator" with admin privilege.
When I try to create a limited account, Windows complains that there is no admin account present, so need to create an admin account first.
When I create account "Geoff" with admin privlilege this has the nasty side-effect of removing the original "Administrator" account from the list of log-ins - so I lose all my docs etc.
Any ideas why Windows is in such a state?
Also - how do you delete user accounts once created?
Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Pooke100 11:33 27 May 2005

I don't understand this but back up all your documents and then change the accounts.

To delete a user account click user accounts in control panel, click the account to be deleted and press delete in the menu.

Can you not choose to save the documents when you delete an account anyway? i thought you could.....

gudgulf 11:38 27 May 2005

That is correct...the main Administrator account becomes hidden.To access it you boot into safe mode and it will appear on the user list then.If you want the Adminisrator account to appear on the normal login screen then you can do that with Tweak UI click here

Click on the word "Logon" and tick the "Show Administrator on Welcome Screen" box.

recap 12:19 27 May 2005

You can also press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice, when going to log on, to access the Admin account in XP.

griffo 12:35 27 May 2005

thanks for the replies.

Gudgulf - have downloaded the 'Tweak' and it worked, many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?