XP user account

hgrock 21:33 18 Aug 2006

can anyone help this has got me stumped, i purchased a secong hand PC it had the previous owner as the adiministrator, i set up a new accound loged off from his account to mine adn deleted his, and set the guset account to off.
Now when the PC reboots a greyed out box with the previous adnin's name comes up and a message, saying windows cannot log him on click ok to continue, i click ok and it goes through booting on my account, his name is nowhere in the account list. can anyone tell me where this is coming from,
thanks for any suggestion
george

VoG II 21:37 18 Aug 2006

Start, Run, type

control userpasswords2

and click OK. See if you can get rid of him from there.

hgrock 21:51 18 Aug 2006

The group membership for <ComputerName\UserName> could not be updated : When updating an existing user, adding him to the 'Power Users group'.
VoG™
i have xp home and can NOT use the Userpasswords2 applet to add or modify users in Windows XP Home Edition. This tool is reserved for Windows XP Professional Edition.

The Userpasswords2 applet allows access to the Power Users group which is NOT a built-in group in Windows XP Home Edition.

To add or edit a user in Windows XP Home Edition, use Control Panel / User Accounts, which does NOT show the Power Users group.

VoG II 21:56 18 Aug 2006

Hmm. Well I have XP HE and it works just fine for me.

It might be as easy to reinstall XP and wipe everything in the process click here

Graham. 09:20 19 Aug 2006

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mi­crosoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion.

In the right pane, double click RegisteredOwner and change the Value data.

ade.h 14:30 19 Aug 2006

VoG, I really thought he was wrong as well, but I just tried it on an XP Home system and got this click here.

Graham's advice should fix it.

hgrock 21:31 21 Aug 2006

i reinstalled xp home, that sorted it.
Thanks anyway folks for your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?