xp & usb to serial rs-232 converter not working

gizmo51 22:24 18 Feb 2003

windows xp
usb to serial converter cable length 45 cm
connectors usb type A plug rs-232 DB-9 Male
Data transfer rate 600 kbps.
drivers ser2pl.sys serenum.sys useing ver 1.5.
usb 1.1
i have a old hewlett packard photosmart c200 Digital Camera (serial rs-232) i got the converter to use the usb port i get up to loading the photo`s but when i start to down loading them on to the computer it get up to 80 to 85% and says can not load photo`s skip or try again also comes up with bule screen with writing on any help at all please thankyou

jazzypop 23:39 18 Feb 2003

It's the writing on the blue screen that will provide the most useful information.

If you can reproduce the error, and make a note of everything on the blue screen, it will be much easier to help you.

Incidentally, is there a reason why you cannot use a standard serial to serial lead? Plugging it into a USB port will not speed it up at all, as it is still limited by the serial speed of the camera.

jazzypop 19:13 19 Feb 2003

Received by email...

"I CAN USE THE SERIAL TO SERIAL ITS OK

ITS JUST HARD TRYING TO GET TO THE BACK OF MY COMPUTER (SPACE).IT SHOULD BE EASY PLUGING IT IN TO THE USB AT THE FRONT.(SHOULD BE).I HAVE TRY LOTS OF DRIVERS FOR OTHER USB TO SERIAL BUT I THINK THEY ALL THE SAME (DRIVERS SER2PL.SYS SERENUM.SYS)

THE BLUE SCREEN HAS NOT HAPPEND WHEN I WANT IT TO BUT IT DID HAVE DRIVERS AT THE BOTTEM OF THE LISTING. ALSO IN THE SCANNER AND CAMER WIZARD THIS TIME,CURRENTLY COPYING PICTURE 1 OF 4 GOT UP TO 47% THE CURRENT PICTURE COULD NOT BE COPIED TO COPY THIS PICTURE CLICK TRY AGAIN ECT. DETAILED INFORMATION THE FOLLOWING PROBLEM OCCURRED WHILE COPYING PICTURES. THE PARAMETER IS INCORRECT. THANKYOU FOR ANY HELP"

As a general point, it is more helpful to you if you reply using the message box at the bottom of the screen, rather than by using the email envelope icon. That way, everyone can see the progress of the thread, and contribute as they see fit.

If this is an occasional or intermittent error, I think that the easiest 'fix' for this would be to plug the standard serial lead into the back of the PC, and leave the trailing end available at the front so that you can easily attach it to the camera.

However, please feel free to post back to this thread if you do get more detailed information regarding the error messages.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?