XP upgrades

Sethhaniel 12:52 17 Feb 2004

I have Just bought a new PC Fujitsu Scaleo L
with Windows XP installed - with Fujitsu XP recovery disk set - (
1) I have not been (at the moment) asked to Activate XP - will I need to and will it warn me?
(2) There is a folder on the hard drive with XP update *.exe and two folders of Security updates totalling 170MB Do I have to run all of these to install them?? -

Iwasaki 13:07 17 Feb 2004

I suspect this has already been activated, and these security dates may have been pre-installed off another download.

Did you install xp? or was it pre-loaded?

Sethhaniel 13:22 17 Feb 2004

Looks like these are extra files that have been added into folder after installation

Stuartli 13:23 17 Feb 2004

Sethhaniel's first paragraph states "with XP installed".

I recently setup a new Mesh system for an elderly friend which had XP Home pre-installed - activation was done merely by entering the Product ID into the fields which came up on screen. There was no contact in any form with Microsoft.

If the updates in the folder have been installed they will be listed in the Add-Remove programs applet in the control panel.

Sethhaniel 12:49 18 Feb 2004

that have been downloaded since the XP was put on PC -
Windows Media Player 9 being one of them - Player 8 already installed - so just have to go thrugh and install them all

Sethhaniel 11:16 19 Feb 2004

So no need to ACTIVATE & registration is optional

ericmax 12:03 19 Feb 2004

If you want to check if it has been activated go to
start>run and type in oobe/msoobe /a don't forget the space between msoobe and /

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?