XP upgrade on new hard drive.

alcudia 08:45 07 Nov 2003

System: Advent 3206 P4 1.8Ghz 40gb hdd

The hard drive on this machine has died and will be replaced to-morrow with a new 120gb drive. The system came with Win Me and a recovery disc for this which is the usual image, and not a full Me disc.

I have bought an XP Pro upgrade CD and would like if possible to install this to the new drive without having to go over the top of another OS. I know the Me image disc is no good, but I have had for some years an unopened Win98SE disc which states for PC's without windows. So there is no licence problem.

I have two questions

Can I use this 98 disc for the purpose of having a valid system to upgrade, and how do I do this without having to install it first as Advent say I must. I am sure there is a way and that this advice is wrong.

Also (more important) Will the XP cd have and install all necessary drivers etc. All are pretty common. I already have graphics and modem anyway.

Thanks for any advice.

leo49 08:55 07 Nov 2003

click here

As you can see in paragraph 4b on the above site XP will ask you to slip your 98 disk in so that it can check that you qualify for an upgrade.

alcudia 08:57 07 Nov 2003

Thanks again.

I thought this was possible. I now just have the hardware to worry about, but I don't think there will be a problem.

leo49 08:58 07 Nov 2003

PS XP has a far larger range of native drivers, so you should have no problems getting up and running

alcudia 09:08 07 Nov 2003

This is what I'm counting on.

I have run seven XP Pro upgrades here at work without problem, but these were all over the top of '98 as all machines had the same restriction. OEM recovery discs.

Never tried a clean install before, hence the nerves.

Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?