XP upgrade

EJ 13:55 22 Jun 2003

Hi All,
I am about to change from Win98SE to XP and was unsure whether I needed the upgrade or full version. I have the 98SE CD with key number but plan on doing a "clean install". Does the upgrade allow this or do I have to leave Win98 on PC.
Cheers for any advice.

DieSse 13:59 22 Jun 2003

The upgarde allows you to do a clean install - it will prompt you to insert the original Win98 CD at some point, as a check that you are entitled to use the upgrade.

EJ 14:03 22 Jun 2003

Thanks for that - unless anyone says otherwise I will go for it.

Jester2K II 14:06 22 Jun 2003

I would run the upgrade over the top of Win98SE first to iron out any problems with drivers etc first. Once you are sure you are happy with WinXP then you can format and use the Upgrade disk to do a full install. As DieSee says you will need to put the Win98Se disk inat some stage during the full install but thats it!

If you have the full version of xp then you can just set your bios to boot cdrom and run it from there it will do all the work for you i.e like formating your computer but if you want to keep your files then above is better

EJ 14:24 22 Jun 2003

Juggy - It will be the upgrade I will be buying. Will that format the same as the full version you mention. Also all my files are well backed up after bad past experiences with Win 98.

DieSse 18:42 22 Jun 2003

As far as using it is concerned, the upgrade version should behave the same as the full version. The only difference will be the request to verify that you do own a copy of Win98.

Jester2K II 21:25 22 Jun 2003

EJ - as DieSee says the upgrade will do both an upgrade and allow you to do a full format and install. I upgraded from Win98SE to XP and then later formatted and did a full XP install using the Upgrade disk. I only needed to pop the old Win98SE disk in for a few seconds to verify that i have a qualifying version to upgrade from and away you go!!

Well done on the backup front...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017