XP Updates

albu 16:04 29 Nov 2006

Has anyone else noticed that there's a lot of XP automatic updates lately?

Everytime I switch on there's an update.

Thanks!

VoG II 16:05 29 Nov 2006

They may be updates for Windows Defender.

Jackcoms 16:07 29 Nov 2006

Not sure what you mean.

In general, Microsoft issue updates on the second Tuesday of the month - not daily.

What are these updates you are getting?

Are you actually installing them?

anskyber 16:07 29 Nov 2006

Or do you mean you have not installed IE7 and it is reminding you perhaps?

Jackcoms 16:08 29 Nov 2006

Updates for Defender install silently. Unless you actually look at the definition version/date you wouldn't know that anything had happened.

birdface 17:14 29 Nov 2006

No, its new up-dates from microsoft.

Zorgalite 17:14 29 Nov 2006

I'm having a problem with the comp saying that there are updates ready to install every time I switch off the computer. Have gone to the windows update centre to check my update history, and the same update has been installing every time "KB927978" I looked in the add/remove programs and that particular update is nowhere to be seen?????
Maybe you are having a simmilar problem. You will see if you go on windows update site and check history. But I'm sorry I don't know how to fix this.

anskyber 17:28 29 Nov 2006

Ah, well if yours is the same problem as Zorgalite then click here its not as off putting as it first appears.

michael444 04:35 02 Apr 2007

I bet if you check your update history it shows that your KB927978 intallation failed. If so check the follwing.

I had a simular problem and discovered my windows installer was disabled.

This solution may help:
go to START
CONTROL PANEL
PERFORMANCE & MAINTENANCE
ADMIN. TOOLS
SERVICES
WINDOWS INSTALLER

Double click Windows Installer, then go to small window that probably reads "Disabled".
Switch that to "Automatic", "Apply", then "Start".

This should hep with some of the cases.

GasGasOhlins 11:25 02 Apr 2007

yes..I too have noticed the same barage of updates!!!...I`ll have a wee peep at the suggestions here and see what I too come up with...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?