xp update help needed

Art* 23:23 07 Aug 2008

pleassssssssse help

i am running xp pro, sp3
but when i try and download the last few updates, eg, net framework pathces and media player 11, office updates nothing fail fail fail

even microsoft messenger will fail, i have had this problem for a few weeks, and have just installed a fresh version of xp pro, from m8ts disk (using my official key) and same happens

i have had vista ultimate on with no problems but i dont have the pc spec to run smoothly (1gig ram old p4) so need xp

thanx in advance

Graham. 23:30 07 Aug 2008

Please don't use text speak.

Did you format the hard drive when you re-installed XP? If not, there may be something lurking in the Registry, like malware.

Art* 23:45 07 Aug 2008

yes i formated it and not the quick format, this was done more than once. All virus scans and spyware doctor etc came clean

saab10 23:54 07 Aug 2008

I had nothing but trouble after installing sp3 conaction kept breaking, couldnt update web site etc. after uninstalling it no more problems.
uninstall it and see how it goes.

birdface 00:55 08 Aug 2008

Maybe try Dial-A-Fix.click here

Art* 01:37 08 Aug 2008

ok first (ok nit picking lol) didnt like the 1st response about txt spk (ooo there i go again) i said one word m8ts darn give me a break :P ( i was a chat host and boss in a few channels so habit ok)

ok now back to the post lol, thanx saab10 that was my prob, i took sp3 off and did the available updates, worked a charm :D, ok its bugging me now to install sp3, but i remembered the 1st time i installed sp3 was when it came as a service pack and i had already done the other updates, so it seems if u have a clean install and install sp3 1st it goes oopsies ( well on mine it does)

so thanx for the help guys :D
microsoft messes up again it seems , hmmmm that should be my new tag lol

rdave13 02:03 08 Aug 2008

Download SP3 to desktop, or where you prefer, from here; click here .
Disconnect from internet and disable AV and any running antispyware/malware program. Disable firewall then install SP3.
Reboot and enable your security software.
Connect to 'net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone