XP unable to close windows firewall

johnnyrocker 19:53 02 Jan 2010

it recently came to light that i was running two firewalls which is not advised, on going to control panel/security centre i find a tick in dont use windows firewall but it is still active and i seem unable to correct it, i have seagate with no probs any ideas?

johnny

Technotiger 20:11 02 Jan 2010

There is no harm in running two firewalls, as long as one is Software based, and the other Hardware based as in many Routers.

johnnyrocker 20:14 02 Jan 2010

no routers involved so i think i should correct it but thanks for consideration

johnny

Technotiger 20:19 02 Jan 2010

If you are running two Software firewalls, as in Windows own plus another for instance, one or the other will generally turn the other off! Hope that makes sense ... LoL

johnnyrocker 20:25 02 Jan 2010

i take your point but my sygate states working normally as does windows one ( sorry for typo in post )

johnny

Technotiger 20:30 02 Jan 2010

I don't think it is anything to worry about - more probably you are thinking of "Never have two Anti-Virus" on the same PC.

User-312386 20:38 02 Jan 2010

Your windows and sygate are working fine. however it can cause conflicts software wise. sometimes on very very rare occasions one can "cancel the others usage" and visa versa. You can disable the windows one by uninstalling the sygate one, then disable the windows one and then reinstall sygate.

johnnyrocker 20:38 02 Jan 2010

it is just that i tried out torrent the other day and it comes up as unable to access via windows firewall?

johnny

Technotiger 20:43 02 Jan 2010

Oooooh, I always steer well clear of Torrent sites, part of my Safe-surfing habits!

johnnyrocker 22:46 02 Jan 2010

very wise

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?